• This weekend was forum pride! We hope you had a great time, the section will remain open to read over the information threads, so dont worry if you missed last night. Visit the section HERE

Fighting Boars

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
without hearing the sound it’s hard to say. A submissive piggy will squeak or squeal in submission - that is normal and is a good sound to hear as it means the submissive accepts his position as the under pig
They would make it when they were in the hay bed together (which i can’t really see inside) but Ted likes to annoy Berty and get really close to him. He would just squeal, in my opinion like he was in pain (it was rather loud) but I’m not sure. They were new to me then, i hadn’t even had them for a week. Thank you

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They would make it when they were in the hay bed together (which i can’t really see inside) but Ted likes to annoy Berty and get really close to him. He would just squeal, in my opinion like he was in pain (it was rather loud) but I’m not sure. They were new to me then, i hadn’t even had them for a week. Thank you
It could be submissive then - the submissive squeak can sound like that of pain.

Ensure you don’t have any enclosed hideys with two boys - so use tunnels, or boxes with two or three doors.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It could be submissive then - the submissive squeak can sound like that of pain.

Ensure you don’t have any enclosed hideys with two boys - so use tunnels, or boxes with two or three doors.
When I rebond them (maybe the weekend/next week), I will cut two doors out of boxes because I use a lot of cardboard ones that I can throw out. I think that was my big mistake last time - Berty felt cornered so he scratched Teddy across his face. They are both teenagers (almost 5 months old), so I expect to see a lot of fighting. I also read up somewhere that if I find hair in the cage or patches of hair missing on their body, that I need to seperate them then.

I feel awful for seperating them before, we did leave the ramp open, but they didn’t go up/down, so I closed it up. Hopefully they can rebond, and not have a bad relationship and have to be seperated. I wish I could do it this week, but Teddy isn’t feeling so great right now. Thank you! :) (sorry for this long paragraph)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
When I rebond them (maybe the weekend/next week), I will cut two doors out of boxes because I use a lot of cardboard ones that I can throw out. I think that was my big mistake last time - Berty felt cornered so he scratched Teddy across his face. They are both teenagers (almost 5 months old), so I expect to see a lot of fighting. I also read up somewhere that if I find hair in the cage or patches of hair missing on their body, that I need to seperate them then.

I feel awful for seperating them before, we did leave the ramp open, but they didn’t go up/down, so I closed it up. Hopefully they can rebond, and not have a bad relationship and have to be seperated. I wish I could do it this week, but Teddy isn’t feeling so great right now. Thank you! :) (sorry for this long paragraph)
If they get on you won’t see fighting, but you will see dominance behaviours.
Yes if fur gets pulled out, then that is a warning sign, but fur pulling tends to be the sow equivalent of a full on fight (boars you would see a them rolling about fighting)

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If they get on you won’t see fighting, but you will see dominance behaviours.
Yes if fur gets pulled out, then that is a warning sign, but fur pulling tends to be the sow equivalent of a full on fight (boars you would see a them rolling about fighting)
Okay, thank you so much! This forum is very helpful, and always gives me the right answers and I am very grateful :)

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone! They are in the run right now, I’m gonna keep them in it all day while I thoroughly clean their cage. I have noticed when they come near each other, their fur sticks up, is this normal?And Ted had this white stuff on his behind which was not there this morning, is that also normal?They did fight a little but they are eating grass beside each other right now, very loud teeth chattering and rumbles. I’m gonna supervise them today and see how they get along! Thank you.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi everyone! They are in the run right now, I’m gonna keep them in it all day while I thoroughly clean their cage. I have noticed when they come near each other, their fur sticks up, is this normal?And Ted had this white stuff on his behind which was not there this morning, is that also normal?They did fight a little but they are eating grass beside each other right now, very loud teeth chattering and rumbles. I’m gonna supervise them today and see how they get along! Thank you.
Keep this guide handy as it explains what behaviours are mild and ones which are concerning
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

The white stuff could likely be boar glue (semen). Yea that’s normal though

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Keep this guide handy as it explains what behaviours are mild and ones which are concerning
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

The white stuff could likely be boar glue (semen). Yea that’s normal though
Thank you! They are in the normal zone! I have seen some bum dragging also. I’ll see how they get on and update the forum!

DougalandDiego

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good luck with your boar bonding! I feel your pain with not feeling 100% sure if they’re getting on or not as my two boys are my first guinea pigs so have nothing to compare their behaviour to. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it works out for you! The forum has been fantastic and I’ve met lots of amazing people on here that give brilliant advice. Good luck!

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good luck with your boar bonding! I feel your pain with not feeling 100% sure if they’re getting on or not as my two boys are my first guinea pigs so have nothing to compare their behaviour to. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it works out for you! The forum has been fantastic and I’ve met lots of amazing people on here that give brilliant advice. Good luck!
Thank you! They seem okay actually. Just some mild teeth chattering and rumbles. I’m so happy that they seem okay with each other, I think they are still working out who is more dominant! Thank you :D

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry for annoying everyone, but I just found them snuggled together (which is strange). They aren’t extreme with each other. They even used the ramp after i put a railing on it. I’m glad I put them together!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sorry for annoying everyone, but I just found them snuggled together (which is strange). They aren’t extreme with each other. They even used the ramp after i put a railing on it. I’m glad I put them together!
You aren’t annoying anyone! We love to hear a good bonding story! I’m glad things have worked out!

DougalandDiego

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That’s fantastic news - mine often do this. Last night my dominant pig was driving me insane (to the point I slept in their room) as he was showing a lot of dominance and today they’re fine again - little monkeys! They like to keep us on our toes I think! :eek::doh:

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You aren’t annoying anyone! We love to hear a good bonding story! I’m glad things have worked out!
Thank you! :D
That’s fantastic news - mine often do this. Last night my dominant pig was driving me insane (to the point I slept in their room) as he was showing a lot of dominance and today they’re fine again - little monkeys! They like to keep us on our toes I think! :eek::doh:
They do! Haha. Not sure who the dominant one is yet! Hopefully, I’ll find out soon :D

DougalandDiego

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you! :D

They do! Haha. Not sure who the dominant one is yet! Hopefully, I’ll find out soon :D
Yeah I wasn’t sure at the start. If you watch it’s usually the one that moves the other pig out the way. My submissive pig rumble strutts more than my dominant pig but he’s quick to move and squeal when my dominant pig wants him out of the way. Once you’ve worked out who is boss it’s always a good idea to pet, feed and handle him first as it’s his right as boss pig 👍🏻

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah I wasn’t sure at the start. If you watch it’s usually the one that moves the other pig out the way. My submissive pig rumble strutts more than my dominant pig but he’s quick to move and squeal when my dominant pig wants him out of the way. Once you’ve worked out who is boss it’s always a good idea to pet, feed and handle him first as it’s his right as boss pig 👍🏻
Thank you! I’ll have to watch them. They both do it at the moment. But I have heard things aren’t normal for about 2 weeks?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll have to watch them. They both do it at the moment. But I have heard things aren’t normal for about 2 weeks?
They will continue to establish their relationship for about two weeks after introduction. But, boars will rumble, chase, mount etc throughout their lives so you will always see dominance behaviour

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They will continue to establish their relationship for about two weeks after introduction. But, boars will rumble, chase, mount etc throughout their lives so you will always see dominance behaviour
Understood! Today I saw a lot of dominant behaviour, but I wasn’t as worried because I knew it was normal. They are chasing each other and rumbling, but I haven’t seen teeth chattering since earlier. I cut 2 holes in every hidey and have 2 of everything. I have noticed that even when they were seperated Ted rumbled when I gave Berty food first, and it happened when I gave Berty a pea flake first today and Ted rumbled. Is he the dominant one? Thank you!

DougalandDiego

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Understood! Today I saw a lot of dominant behaviour, but I wasn’t as worried because I knew it was normal. They are chasing each other and rumbling, but I haven’t seen teeth chattering since earlier. I cut 2 holes in every hidey and have 2 of everything. I have noticed that even when they were seperated Ted rumbled when I gave Berty food first, and it happened when I gave Berty a pea flake first today and Ted rumbled. Is he the dominant one? Thank you!
If they’ve just been introduced you’re probably seeing lots of dominant behaviour because they’re still establishing who’s boss pig. I wouldn’t say that Ted is the boss because he rumbled when you gave Berty food. You will probably find it easier to see who is boss by watching them and seeing who moves out the way for who. I wouldn’t worry too much at trying to work out who is boss straight away and let them settle and establish it between themselves first... it will probably become more apparent with time.
I’m glad they’re getting on so well!

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If they’ve just been introduced you’re probably seeing lots of dominant behaviour because they’re still establishing who’s boss pig. I wouldn’t say that Ted is the boss because he rumbled when you gave Berty food. You will probably find it easier to see who is boss by watching them and seeing who moves out the way for who. I wouldn’t worry too much at trying to work out who is boss straight away and let them settle and establish it between themselves first... it will probably become more apparent with time.
I’m glad they’re getting on so well!
You are right! I’ll let them settle in. Thank you :)