• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fighting Boars

Hi.
I introduced them a couple days ago, they both use the ramp I installed, I was about to fill up their hay again when a fight broke out. It was full on, I really couldn’t tell what was happening but it left them both quiet and Berty ran back up. I am aware there isn’t enough space but I can’t do anything about it right away unfortunately. I am unsure what to do now, are they able to be with each other? There were in a box when it happened, the box had an exit at each end. Do I keep them together? If I do seperate they won’t be able to be next to each other. I feel quite bad, any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Hi.
I introduced them a couple days ago, they both use the ramp I installed, I was about to fill up their hay again when a fight broke out. It was full on, I really couldn’t tell what was happening but it left them both quiet and Berty ran back up. I am aware there isn’t enough space but I can’t do anything about it right away unfortunately. I am unsure what to do now, are they able to be with each other? There were in a box when it happened, the box had an exit at each end. Do I keep them together? If I do seperate they won’t be able to be next to each other. I feel quite bad, any help would be appreciated, thank you.

If there has been a full on fight, then they can’t live together. It sounds as if there are underlying problems. Trying again was worth a go though. We know they don’t have quite enough space but character compatibility comes first and if they don’t like each other then no amount of space is going to help that.
Separated piggies do need to be next to each other but I understand that isn’t possible right now. You’ve got to prevent further fights though and if they don’t get on then separating them is your only option. Can you look to get another cage so they can live side by side?

If there has been a full on fight, then they can’t live together. It sounds as if there are underlying problems. Trying again was worth a go though. We know they don’t have quite enough space but character compatibility comes first and if they don’t like each other then no amount of space is going to help that.
Separated piggies do need to be next to each other but I understand that isn’t possible right now. You’ve got to prevent further fights though and if they don’t get on then separating them is your only option. Can you look to get another cage so they can live side by side?
I really don’t know with covid right now. They have a two story hutch.
Before it happened there was really loud teeth chattering going on. They are trying to get to each other right now. Teddy does have a small scratch beneath his eye but that seems like it wasn’t from now. I’m worried they have been doing it through the night. I don’t know how to put the cage side by side outside.
Thank you.

Loud teeth chattering can be a sign of being annoyed (a step up from the mild teeth chattering which is normal dominance) and if things don’t calm down from that point, then that is when fights can break out.

Close the ramp up so they cant get to each other now the have had a fight. There is going to be some agitation and they will look like they are trying to get to each other but if they are fighting then they can’t be together.
With them being outside all you can do is put two hutches as close together as you can. I’d have them facing each other leaving enough of a gap between for you to walk between them and open the hutch doors. I can’t think of any other way to do it at present.
Long term, if you could get each one a new friend (either through boar dating at a rescue or neutering them and finding them a sow each from a rescue centre (again via dating) then that would be good.

Last edited:
Loud teeth chattering can be a sign of being annoyed (a step up from the mild teeth chattering which is normal dominance) and if things don’t calm down from that point, then that is when fights can break out.

Close the ramp up so they can get to each other now the have had a fight. There is going to be some agitation and they will look like they are trying to get to each other but if they are fighting then they can’t be together.
With them being outside all you can do is put two hutches as close together as you can. I’d have them facing each other leaving enough of a gap between for you to walk between them and open the hutch doors. I can’t think of any other way to do it at present.
Long term, if you could get each one a new friend (either through boar dating at a rescue or neutering them and finding them a sow each from a rescue centre (again via dating) then that would be good.
Thank you for the advice, but unfortunately I am unable to get anymore piggies due to not having enough room. Can you suggest any cheap good quality hutches? I just got this one in June time and just started saving again, Thank you.

Close the ramp up so they can get to each other now the have had a fight. There is going to be some agitation and they will look like they are trying to get to each other but if they are fighting then they can’t be together.
I also forgot to mention, I closed up the ramp as soon as it happened, which was upsetting because they just learnt how to go up and down. The teeth chattering was much louder than usual. Every once in a while I did see them mildy teeth chat at each other and sniff each others necks and chase them, but it wasn’t as bad as this morning. It was probably worse than before when I seperated them! Thank you.

Just found Teddy like this (sorry for the messy cage, I haven’t spot cleaned yet).

Attachments

• A23B5823-14C4-4A85-9609-D136F127CFF2.jpeg
    A23B5823-14C4-4A85-9609-D136F127CFF2.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 9
I have two hutches (one for rabbit and one for piggies). My rabbits hutch is good quality and wasn’t cheap. It has lasted 7 years outside so far with absolutely no problems. My piggies hutch was cheap but is not good quality but my piggies hutch was never intended to be used outside (they live in my shed) therefore I was less concerned with its ability to stand up to weather conditions. if it were to be used outside I doubt it would last long.

I’m afraid good quality won’t be cheap. Chartwell hutches are good. You really do need to consider getting them a friend each. They can’t communicate through the bars at the moment which can mean loneliness. Also have a read of the single thread I link below.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
5ft Double Rabbit Hutch Chartwell Range | Fast Shipping | H&R
6ft Single Guinea Pig Hutch Chartwell | Fast Shipping | H&R
Thank you. I will read them, I’ll really have to look at cages where they can see each other through the bars.

I have two hutches (one for rabbit and one for piggies). My rabbits hutch is good quality and wasn’t cheap. It has lasted 7 years outside so far with absolutely no problems. My piggies hutch was cheap but is not good quality but my piggies hutch was never intended to be used outside (they live in my shed) therefore I was less concerned with its ability to stand up to weather conditions. if it were to be used outside I doubt it would last long.
I cover the roof with tarpaulin when it rains. Thank you.

They’ve both been really quiet since the fight, they have both been hiding all day and haven’t been wheeking like usual. They have both eaten, but I saw Ted in the same spot for ages.

They’ve both been really quiet since the fight, they have both been hiding all day and haven’t been wheeking like usual. They have both eaten, but I saw Ted in the same spot for ages.

It’s sad, but if they are fighting when they are together then it’s unfortunately the way it’s got to be.
Being side by side so they can they can see (body language is an important method of communication), smell and talk to each other and interact through the bars or having a new friend each is going to be the best way for them to gain interaction and prevent loneliness.

you’ve said you can’t get more piggies because you don’t have space for more, but if you’ve got one boar at the top half and one boar at the bottom half of your current hutch, then if you could neuter them both (have the six week wait) and get them both a sow each then your hutch is big enough for that - one pair at the top and one pair at the bottom. A boar/sow pairing doesn’t need quite as much space as a boar/boar pairing does.

I have 2 boars had them from when they were 10 weeks old they are 14 months old now they are a fully bonded pair. I started off with a hutch but I decided to upgrade this to a C&C cage which is correx and grids all from Amazon all in it was just under £70 best money I spent as the boys now have a big 2 by 6 cage so they have plenty of room and 2 of EVERYTHING. Unfortunately it sounds like they are not going to bond and will need to be separated however I would suggest maybe upgrading to a bigger cage to see if that helps.

good luck I hope it works out for you.

It’s sad, but if they are fighting when they are together then it’s unfortunately the way it’s got to be.
Being side by side so they can they can see (body language is an important method of communication), smell and talk to each other and interact through the bars or having a new friend each is going to be the best way for them to gain interaction and prevent loneliness.

you’ve said you can’t get more piggies because you don’t have space for more, but if you’ve got one boar at the top half and one boar at the bottom half of your current hutch, then if you could neuter them both (have the six week wait) and get them both a sow each then your hutch is big enough for that - one pair at the top and one pair at the bottom. A boar/sow pairing doesn’t need quite as much space as a boar/boar pairing does.
This sounds absolutely terrible.

But we are going to contact the rescue we got them from and return one (we can’t decide who yet :( ) and hopefully they can become part of a different herd, while the one we keep gets a sow companion. It was a hard decision, but I was thinking about it and it would be better for them both. Whoever it is, I do hope they have a good home. (I sound like a horrible person)I just don’t know if I can have 4 piggies, I’d love to, but unfortunately am unable to.

This sounds absolutely terrible.

But we are going to contact the rescue we got them from and return one (we can’t decide who yet :( ) and hopefully they can become part of a different herd, while the one we keep gets a sow companion. It was a hard decision, but I was thinking about it and it would be better for them both. Whoever it is, I do hope they have a good home. (I sound like a horrible person)I just don’t know if I can have 4 piggies, I’d love to, but unfortunately am unable to.

It doesn’t sound terrible, it sounds like you are finding the right decision in the best interest of your piggies. Its hard as it is, if they can both have a new friend and be happy then that is the best thing for them for the long term

It doesn’t sound terrible, it sounds like you are finding the right decision in the best interest of your piggies. Its hard as it is, if they can both have a new friend and be happy then that is the best thing for them for the long term
That was what I was thinking. I would love to keep them both but their happiness is what matters the most.

Hi! I have been looking at different rescues near me for sows. The one we got the piggies from have no sows at the moment. I was really hoping for a sow because we don’t have enough room for two boars at the moment, only a boar/sow pair. But most rescues are far away, I don’t want to buy from Pets4Homes or Pets At Home, I don’t trust those. If anyone can suggest anything please reply. Thank you!

Hi! I have been looking at different rescues near me for sows. The one we got the piggies from have no sows at the moment. I was really hoping for a sow because we don’t have enough room for two boars at the moment, only a boar/sow pair. But most rescues are far away, I don’t want to buy from Pets4Homes or Pets At Home, I don’t trust those. If anyone can suggest anything please reply. Thank you!

Are your boars neutered? If not, then they need to be neutered and have the six week wait and during that time sows May come available
All you can do is get your name on their waiting lists and wait for sows to come in.

Are your boars neutered? If not, then they need to be neutered and have the six week wait and during that time sows May come available
All you can do is get your name on their waiting lists and wait for sows to come in.
They aren’t. I’m hoping I will find a spayed sow. This is a silly question, but can the sow be older than the boar? I don’t know if that would cause issues (probably not). The rescue says they have two well bonded boars, although my hutch is only 140 x 60 with a ramp.

Back