• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fighting Boars

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I adopted 2 boars about a month ago, they were a bonded pair of brothers, but a few days after getting them, they would fight and follow each other around. I noticed a scratch on one of their faces (which has healed) and i decided to seperate them. They are absolutely thriving now and are so much happier, they can still hear each other and they know they are they. But as they are teenagers, will i be able to introduce them in about a years time when their hormones calm down or will they need to be lone guinea pigs forever? Thank you :)

I adopted 2 boars about a month ago, they were a bonded pair of brothers, but a few days after getting them, they would fight and follow each other around. I noticed a scratch on one of their faces (which has healed) and i decided to seperate them. They are absolutely thriving now and are so much happier, they can still hear each other and they know they are they. But as they are teenagers, will i be able to introduce them in about a years timw when their hormoned calm down or will they need to be lone guinea pigs forever? Thank you :)
Also, after it happened we contacted the rescuer and she recommended have 2 more piggies but we haven’t got room for more! They seem happy separate

Was it actual full on fights?
If you wish to try when they are older, then that is up to you but if two piggies aren’t compatible, then they won’t get be able to live together.

Was it actual full on fights?
If you wish to try when they are older, then that is up to you but if two piggies aren’t compatible, then they won’t get be able to live together.
I sat next to their run, and one of them was in a box, then my other piggy ran into their box and poor Ted came out teeth chattering with a scratch on his eye. Thank you for getting back to me. Although I’m not sure if I will pair them up again, but I dont want them to be alone!

I sat next to their run, and one of them was in a box, then my other piggy ran into their box and poor Ted came out teeth chattering with a scratch on his eye. Thank you for getting back to me. Although I’m not sure if I will pair them up again, but I dont want them to be alone!

If they can’t get on then trying them again would be futile. Having enclosed hides with teen boars is not advisable though. They should always be tunnels (have two exits) so that no piggy can be cornered
They aren’t alone as such as they can speak through the bars.
Your alternative is to get each of them a new friend - neutering and finding them a sow can be best/easiest with teen boars but either way a rescue centre is the best place to find a character compatible friend

If they can’t get on then trying them again would be futile. Having enclosed hides with teen boars is not advisable though. They should always be tunnels (have two exits) so that no piggy can be cornered
They aren’t alone as such as they can speak through the bars.
Your alternative is to get each of them a new friend - neutering and finding them a sow can be best/easiest with teen boars but either way a rescue centre is the best place to find a character compatible friend
I never knew about the boxes, I know that now. I’ll see how they get on for now and consider females. Thank you so much for your help!

I never knew about the boxes, I know that now. I’ll see how they get on for now and consider females. Thank you so much for your help!

Don’t forget, should you decide to have them neutered, that they will need to remain away from females for six weeks after the op to ensure they are infertile

Hi!

It sounds more like an accident from being cornered when on edge - but it all depends on how your boys feel about their relationship and whether they want to be together or not. No magic trick in the world can make any difference to that bottom line.

Please take the time to carefully read these guides here. they take you through all aspects in detail and with their various pros and cons and possible options. The boar guide also contains a chapter on the various do's and dont's when it comes to boars; there are quite a few! On the whole, whatever the gender I prefer huts or log tunnels with two exits - it makes for less scuffles.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Don’t forget, should you decide to have them neutered, that they will need to remain away from females for six weeks after the op to ensure they are infertile
Okay, thank you so much :)

Hi!

It sounds more like an accident from being cornered when on edge - but it all depends on how your boys feel about their relationship and whether they want to be together or not. No magic trick in the world can make any difference to that bottom line.

Please take the time to carefully read these guides here. they take you through all aspects in detail and with their various pros and cons and possible options. The boar guide also contains a chapter on the various do's and dont's when it comes to boars; there are quite a few! On the whole, whatever the gender I prefer huts or log tunnels with two exits - it makes for less scuffles.

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
Thank you for replying to me. I’ll have a read through it. I did put them together not that long ago under supervision, and there was a lot of low rumbles (sorry i forgot the word). I just worry incase they hurt eachother when I'm not there. I have a two level hutch. Right now they are on seperate levels. They didn’t know how to use the ramp so they were together and at that point I didnt have as much hidies as i do now but they would follow each other and do a low purr. Ted did get into Berty space a lot. They are going through that teenage stage right now though. Thank you :)

Thank you for replying to me. I’ll have a read through it. I did put them together not that long ago under supervision, and there was a lot of low rumbles (sorry i forgot the word). I just worry incase they hurt eachother when I'm not there. I have a two level hutch. Right now they are on seperate levels. They didn’t know how to use the ramp so they were together and at that point I didnt have as much hidies as i do now but they would follow each other and do a low purr. Ted did get into Berty space a lot. They are going through that teenage stage right now though. Thank you :)

The purring is called rumblestrutting and is a completely normal behaviour, Along with chasing, mounting and teeth chattering. As teens they will do it a lot, they are sorting out their relationship and dominance. From what you are saying, I am beginning to think there isn’t a problem here at all and that they may actually be ok if they were to be together. Have they ever had a full on fight?

As long a their cage meets size requirements on a single level which is 180cm x 60cm for boars, upper levels don’t count towards the cage size anyway.
If they are to remain separate, then being one on top of the other isn’t ideal. Separated piggies need to be side by side

Last edited:
The purring is called rumblestrutting and is a completely normal behaviour, Along with chasing, mounting and teeth chattering. As teens they will do it a lot, they are sorting out their relationship and dominance. From what you are saying, I am beginning to think there isn’t a problem here at all and that they may actually be ok if they were to be together. Have they ever had a full on fight?

As long a their cage meets size requirements on a single level which is 180cm x 60cm for boars, upper levels don’t count towards the cage size anyway.
If they are to remain separate, then being one on top of the other isn’t ideal. Separated piggies need to be side by side
There has only been one scratch near the eye! And yes, we had a long search for a cage that was big enough (it was very hard) and the rescuer made sure we took a picture of it before we got them! And i am unable to put them side by side, I’m not sure what to do, any suggestions? Shall I put them together and put the ramp back in?

If all they’ve done is a bit of rumbling, chasing, mounting then that isn’t fighting. If the eye scratch was due to being cornered then it may well have just been an accident. As long as there hasn’t been any proper fur ball, full on fights and it’s only been dominance than it might be worth trying to rebond them.

It would be best to go right back to the beginning and carry out an introduction on neutral territory (ie do not just let them have access to each other’s cages) and see how it goes. You absolutely will see dominance behaviours - chasing, mounting, rumbling, teeth chattering - but as long as there is no full on aggression and fights, then you need to let do what boars do and sort their relationship and hierarchy out. If it is successful (they could be in the neutral bonding pen for a while) then you need to clean down the hutch thoroughly so it doesn’t smell of either of them and they can move back in together.

Do read the guides below

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Good luck Chickenpies hopefully it was just boys sorting out who is top piggie ! Great advice from everyone and I’m sure it will help you to decide what to do. Sending you all a BIG hug 🥰

Rumble-strutting is normal and mild dominance behaviour. It is the way boars measure up to each other peacefully.

If all they’ve done is a bit of rumbling, chasing, mounting then that isn’t fighting. If the eye scratch was due to being cornered then it may well have just been an accident. As long as there hasn’t been any proper fur ball, full on fights and it’s only been dominance than it might be worth trying to rebond them.

It would be best to go right back to the beginning and carry out an introduction on neutral territory (ie do not just let them have access to each other’s cages) and see how it goes. You absolutely will see dominance behaviours - chasing, mounting, rumbling, teeth chattering - but as long as there is no full on aggression and fights, then you need to let do what boars do and sort their relationship and hierarchy out. If it is successful (they could be in the neutral bonding pen for a while) then you need to clean down the hutch thoroughly so it doesn’t smell of either of them and they can move back in together.

Do read the guides below

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Thank you! I am a new guinea pig owner, and I’m trying to research things but most websites provide false information and I only trust this forum. Thank you for your advice. Would you suggest ways of slowly introducing them to each other?

Good luck Chickenpies hopefully it was just boys sorting out who is top piggie ! Great advice from everyone and I’m sure it will help you to decide what to do. Sending you all a BIG hug 🥰
Thank you! :)

Rumble-strutting is normal and mild dominance behaviour. It is the way boars measure up to each other peacefully.
Thank you! I was just a little worried as they are my first guinea pigs and it is very alarming. I did look up and it said if there were any scratches you should seperate so I tried it out and they were happy.

Thank you! I was just a little worried as they are my first guinea pigs and it is very alarming. I did look up and it said if there were any scratches you should seperate so I tried it out and they were happy.

As long as they have space to get away from each other whenever necessary (including getting out of a tight corner), you are in with a very good chance of them making it; even if it is at the worst in the form of an amicable divorce from bed and table with each having their own territory to hang out.

Thank you! I am a new guinea pig owner, and I’m trying to research things but most websites provide false information and I only trust this forum. Thank you for your advice. Would you suggest ways of slowly introducing them to each other?
You can't introduce slowly. It's either all or nothing. Set up the play pen and if you want you can always leave them in it overnight. Good luck :)

Back