• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Full caecum

andisafc

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, sorry the saga continues! Thought I had better start another thread as Bramble has been in for X-Rays and Bloods today as he still hasn't been eating properly. He has been tender in the back end now for 5 days and we weren't sure if he had stones as he was squeaking when pooing. So he was on a short course of antibiotics and was booked in for x-rays and bloods as the not eating properly has been going on since he had a bad reaction to azithromycin. He has been eating as much of his own poops as he can.
So the vet has just rang and has said that his caecum is very full. They are prescribing more metoclopromide for a week. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of issue? It is not bloat as he has been syringe fed for well over 2 weeks. Thanks :nod:

Hi, sorry the saga continues! Thought I had better start another thread as Bramble has been in for X-Rays and Bloods today as he still hasn't been eating properly. He has been tender in the back end now for 5 days and we weren't sure if he had stones as he was squeaking when pooing. So he was on a short course of antibiotics and was booked in for x-rays and bloods as the not eating properly has been going on since he had a bad reaction to azithromycin. He has been eating as much of his own poops as he can.
So the vet has just rang and has said that his caecum is very full. They are prescribing more metoclopromide for a week. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of issue? It is not bloat as he has been syringe fed for well over 2 weeks. Thanks :nod:

Hi

I hope that the metoclopramide will help with moving on the poos. It stimulates the muscle movement of the digestive tract and helps to empty the gut. The caecum is the largest and the most important of the three fermentation spaces of the lower gut. You can find about 70% of the gut contents in that space at any time. But it could be that the bad reaction to the antibiotic has had an impact on the movement in the lower gut.

Unfortunately, we can only speculate since we haven't seen any clear links between the one and the other. Plese keep in mind that we are not a medical forum and don't have the relevant background. A really bad reaction to an antibiotic can unfortunately not wear off as quickly; it can happen with any antibiotic. I am very sorry.

All the best with the metoclop.

Hi

I hope that the metoclopramide will help with moving on the poos. It stimulates the muscle movement of the digestive tract and helps to empty the gut. The caecum is the largest and the most important of the three fermentation spaces of the lower gut. You can find about 70% of the gut contents in that space at any time. But it could be that the bad reaction to the antibiotic has had an impact on the movement in the lower gut.

Unfortunately, we can only speculate since we haven't seen any clear links between the one and the other. Plese keep in mind that we are not a medical forum and don't have the relevant background. A really bad reaction to an antibiotic can unfortunately not wear off as quickly; it can happen with any antibiotic. I am very sorry.
Oh don't worry, I just wondered if anyone else had ever had the issue really and I really appreciate any feedback. He hasn't been moving around much either as he lost his brother just over 6 weeks ago, but we adopted a rescue baby yesterday - Fozzy and they were running about so hoping that will help move things along too? Thanks again for your help as always @Wiebke ♥️

Oh don't worry, I just wondered if anyone else had ever had the issue really and I really appreciate any feedback. He hasn't been moving around much either as he lost his brother just over 6 weeks ago, but we adopted a rescue baby yesterday - Fozzy and they were running about so hoping that will help move things along too? Thanks again for your help as always @Wiebke ♥️

More activity should definitely help to stimulate the gut and gain a renewed zest for life! :)

Thanks, they’ve said cisipride(?) would be the next thing to try?

Cisapride would be the next gut med to try as your vet is cautiously working their way up.

Unfortunately, when it comes to rodents, medication for the digestive tract is very limited. The best drugs for the gut are steroids/steroidal meds - and they are an absolute no no for guinea pigs. :(

Cisapride would be the next gut med to try as your vet is cautiously working their way up.

Unfortunately, when it comes to rodents, medication for the digestive tract is very limited. The best drugs for the gut are steroids/steroidal meds - and they are an absolute no no for guinea pigs. :(
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 we won’t need cisapride even? Here’s hoping ❤️

Just after a little help, on doing tonight’s poop pick & critical care feed, I’ve noticed a couple soft poops from Bramble & I could hear popping from his gut. Should I be worried about this? He’s still having metoclopramide twice daily. I gave him readigrass on Friday so I’m wondering if it’s that? I was recommended it to try & stimulate his eating. He does eat a bit of hay & veggies but most of his feed is coming from me. Thanks 😀

Forgot to add that his weight is stable
If the weight is stable then you are doing a good job by balancing the support feed with what little he eats by himself. The softer poos could be from the readigrass; but we can onl guess. Your priority is to make sure that poos are moving; the consistency is at this stage of secondary importance. It sounds like there could still be some bloating/gassing. Ensuring that he moves around or has some vibration may help with that.

If the weight is stable then you are doing a good job by balancing the support feed with what little he eats by himself. The softer poos could be from the readigrass; but we can onl guess. Your priority is to make sure that poos are moving; the consistency is at this stage of secondary importance. It sounds like there could still be some bloating/gassing. Ensuring that he moves around or has some vibration may help with that.
Thanks for the reply 😘 Was hoping he’d be eating more on his own by now? Do you think I need to take him to be seen soon? I have an app booked on Tuesday afternoon for a check up anyway. He’s not as active this afternoon as since the arrival of his new friend they’ve been running around like crazy things.

Thanks for the reply 😘 Was hoping he’d be eating more on his own by now? Do you think I need to take him to be seen soon? I have an app booked on Tuesday afternoon for a check up anyway. He’s not as active this afternoon as since the arrival of his new friend they’ve been running around like crazy things.

Yes, definitely have him checked; there should have been an improvement. It rather looks like something underlying could be going on that hasn't been found yet.

Unless there is a marked deterioration I would rcommend to wait until Tuesday since out-of-hours cosnsultations cost a fortune these days.

Back