• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fungal or Dry skin on feet and ears

Mystic_Willow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so i am new to the forum and am wondering if what my guinea pig has is fungal.
I have a young little guinea pig who has stunted growth and is also blind and she has just started to develop a bald patch on the top of her foot which looks dry and flakey.
I wil post a photo soon when i get the chance to give use a better look but just wondering were i should go from here and if there is anything in the home that i can do.
Thanks!

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Firstly, welcome to the forum, if you can go ahead and add your location, it can help with advice at times in terms of medication. It is possible for piggies to over groom due to boredom and get a bald patch on the top or slightly inside of a paw.

However to be sure, you are better off having your piggy checked by a vet.

Do post a picture though when you get a moment it may help.

Mystic_Willow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
IMG_0181.JPGIMG_0183.JPG

So here are the photos of her, i ahve tried to have her with other guinea pigs but they end up bullying her and the ones who dont she then bullies them.
She has a range of toys and puzzles in her cage so should not be bored and when i am at work she is with my parents. Not sure what this is as my i have not seen it before on my other 4 previous guinea pigs.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. It certainly looks like fungal to me but definitely have a vet look at it for a definite diagnoses.

Mystic_Willow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok, i will be ringing first thing on monday morning. What about the fungus spreading, will it spread to dogs, other animals or us. Also is there anything i can put on it today to make it any better until i see the vet on monday?

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I'd agree with the Flutterby, it looks like fungal. Yes vet diagnosis is required. in terms of taking precautions, please be cautious handling, using gloves and try not to handle too much. It can be uncomfortable for the piggy. Bless, poor we thing x

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I'd agree with the Flutterby, it looks like fungal. Yes vet diagnosis is required. in terms of taking precautions, please be cautious handling, using gloves and try not to handle too much. It can be uncomfortable for the piggy. Bless, poor we thing x

"The Flutterby" Haha love it :D:D

Mystic_Willow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okey doke, thanks for the information everyone. Never had this before and when you hear things like fungal or ringworm it can be a bit daunting. But nevertheless, the vet will be rang first thing on monday morning and i will let use know what the prognosis is.
Once again thanks for the help :D

Pigmamma

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve found canesten 1% is working on my new pigs fungal ear. I thought I would try it over the weekend as can’t book vets till Monday. I’ve applied it 3 times now and the difference is quite remarkable.

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That looks like what my Dexter had and it typically was noticed on a Saturday and I couldn't get in til Monday either. I was so worried that it would be something worse but after seeing the vet she said it was fungal and told me to apply canesten which worked a treat. Not saying yours has the same as mine did but it looks the same (just to avoid worrying like I did). I thought it might be ringworm and with a menagerie of other pets the worry was quite intense! Through research and asking on this forum I was advised not to do anything until the vets have checked it out. They need to make a diagnosis without any interferance. Hopefully this has put your mind at rest a bit until Monday ;)

Mystic_Willow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone, soo I'm just back from the vet and he first of all confirmed that Willow is blind (which i pretty much new but just wanted to be sure). He also said that Willow (as suspected) has either a small fungal problem or the other type, ringworm. However there is a slim change that it is the ringworm.
He treated Willow for mites and gave me some ace-high to put in the dry food every other day.

On the funny side though Willow is not a girl . . . she is actually a he haha, so i guess a name change is in order lol :hmm:

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
O bless I hope he gets better soon. Fungal infections r such a pain and I'm now treating 1 of my pigs for it which was brought into the home from my younger pig. I am going to disinfect everything when it's all cleared up because I don't want to go through this again! I think willow is fine for a boy. My mum used to have a male cat called willow and when I was younger I had a male budgie called hazel! :hmm::lol: