• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fungus Infection Or Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paigeemariee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
just got this baby guinea pig from the humane society but of a crazy situation family dropped off over 100 pregnant females at our shelter. So I adopted a baby. Turns out she has a Upper Respiratory Infection (currently being treated with bactrim) and I believe she has a fungal infection I've given her a bath with some fungal shampoo and am putting on a fungal cream. But I'm not sure if I'm correct that it's a fungal infection.. need tips and help. She is drinking, eating and pooping well. Very energetic being that she is so sick. I've attached some photos of her scabs. They are only on her face I've looked all throughout her and nothing else is showing. Thanks! (P.s the white looking stuff around her wounds is the cream)IMG_2518.JPGIMG_2519.JPGIMG_2520.JPG

It rather looks like ringworm, but please have it checked by a vet if possible; if you have already started treating on spec, it is much harder to diagnose. URI, ringworm and mange mites or other parasites are opportunists and often hit in combination in neglects cases when the immune system is lowered.
PLEASE treat with good quality stuff and do not treat on spec; especially not with the cheap low dosed broad spectrum products from the pet shop, which can do more harm than good. Be aware that the fungus affects a large area around the visible site where all the affected hairs have to come out to ensure that there is no fungal remaining that can trigger a new outbreak. Fungus sits usually at the hair roots. Just creaming is not quite enough.

Also be aware that ringworm is the most highly transmittable issue that can affect all mammals, incuding humans and that thorough hygiene is essential, especially investing in an anti-fungal disinfectant that also kills ringworm spores.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus
Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites
Guinea Lynx :: GL's Vet List

Make sure that she is on a good balanced hay based diet with a wide range of nutrients and give additionally some vitamin C to boost her immune system.

Is she your only piggy?

Since we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please add your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice to what is available and relevant where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back