• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

SigiliumSignus

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I need help! My guinea pig, sigil, has been gagging hard and ending up puking in her mouth and I had to suck it up with a rubber ear flusher. She also wabbles when she walks now and I think she might also be constipated. This all very recently started happening, as in the last three hours. She woke me up with her gagging and I'm afraid to think of how long she was gagging before I woke up! PLEASE HELP! (I'm 15, she's almost 5)

You should go to an exotic (or cavy savvy) vet as soon as possible. If you're in the UK you can use this: Guinea Pig Vet Locator There you'll get a list of the recommended vets that are near you.

I'm also tagging @Wiebke and @helen105281 , as they really know a lot about piggies and this looks like something serious.

Guinea pigs don't have a vomit reflex. Sound like she needs to see at vet to me, especially with the wobbly walk. With it being a bank holiday it may be trickier/ more expensive to get her seen, if it counts as out of hours.

Someone with more experience may be able to advise what could be going on, but no advice on here can replace a vet

It sounds to me like your piggy is unable to swallow and saliva is building up in the mouth which is causing her to gag. She will be getting very dehydrated too and needs to see a vet as a matter of urgency.

Do not wait for any more replies on here. Your piggy needs a vet now!

Hello I need help! My guinea pig, sigil, has been gagging hard and ending up puking in her mouth and I had to suck it up with a rubber ear flusher. She also wabbles when she walks now and I think she might also be constipated. This all very recently started happening, as in the last three hours. She woke me up with her gagging and I'm afraid to think of how long she was gagging before I woke up! PLEASE HELP! (I'm 15, she's almost 5)

Please contact an out-of-hours vet asap; you should be able to get the contacts via your regular vets' answering machine message.

Guinea pigs can't vomit, but they can die when something gets stuck in the esophagus or windpipe; the gagging is mostly from saliva. Good that you have been able to free the mouth. It is a major strain on the heart and breathing; hence the wobbling.

Please keep her comfy, quiet and warm (but not hot) to recover from her ordeal. You can offer her to drink water from a syringe, but let her drink from it or only syringe 1.0 - 0.2 ml at a time, i.e. very little, to make sure that she is not gagging again and to give her plenty of time to swallow. It is very likely that she is struggling or even unable to swallow.

Only later on, you can start syringe feeding. Again, be careful to syringe only small quantities, but also try to keep the guts going, so unless her appetite is picking up, do so little but often around the clock. What you call constipation reflects the fact that she has likely not had any food in her for some time and that her guts may be going into stasis. But you need to make sure with a vet that it is safe to do so.
Here is our illustrated step-by-step syringe feeding guide; it also contains tips on what you can do with what you have got to hand in an emergency. Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

As we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can adjust any recommendations to what is available and doable where you are instead of keeping it general. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back