Garden Runs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caramel&casper

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
I have three piggies now, as we sadly lost one on Wednesday due to heat stroke. We have a metal run, that I move around the garden as the boys "mow" the lawn for me. I use blankets/sheets to provide shade, as well as their tunnels and hides. We also had hot water bottles filled with cold water, no covers, for them to sit/lie on. The vet said some piggies just don't handle the heat well, as the other three are all fine. My question is this > I'm reluctant now to use the outdoor run in the warm weather, however I also don't want to leave them in their bluebell hutch (it is in permanent shade) so I am considering "adapting" the hutch so they have access to the area next to their cage. By way of a tunnel, I could make an approx 9ft x 2ft run, mostly grass with 3 patio slabs between hutch and grass. However, planted in this section I have a hydrangea and another shrub (grown up from next door!) that are tall, green stems with yellow star shaped flowers on. I can't find the name of them though. I would like to leave these in, as they would offer extra cool areas in the already shaded area - but are they dangerous to piggies? Sorry for waffle and thanks for any help!

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thank goodness the hot spell is over .

I recall on the Tuesday, the air temperature was too hot for my piggies to be out . Likewise, it was too hot in their hutch , so, they had to stay in their temporary indoor accommodation all evening and i couldn't put them out into their run until 9pm .

I agree an outdoor run isn't suitable in warm weather . I also agree it wouldn't be a good idea for the to nibble on the shrubs.

Do you have an idea what you will be using for a tunnel?

Caramel&casper

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank goodness the hot spell is over .

I recall on the Tuesday, the air temperature was too hot for my piggies to be out . Likewise, it was too hot in their hutch , so, they had to stay in their temporary indoor accommodation all evening and i couldn't put them out into their run until 9pm .

I agree an outdoor run isn't suitable in warm weather . I also agree it wouldn't be a good idea for the to nibble on the shrubs.

Do you have an idea what you will be using for a tunnel?
Hi, I've seen some bunny run ideas on pintrest that seem to use corrigated tubes, like the yellow/ blue ones used by utility companies for water and gas etc. I thought I use a length of this secured to the hutch and run so they have access when ever they want. At the moment we have a new room being built, which I can use as an emergency run, but once finished I wont be able to bring them indoors. Their hutch is in a very cool area of the garden - its 29 degrees according to my thermometer in the garden, and 19 in the hutch so a lot cooler. The new run would be similar in temp to hutch as its always in shade, I just didn't want to dig up the shrubs unless they were poisonous! I thought they may enjoy playing amoung the plants, but I'm not sure what are poisonous and what what they would naturally avoid eating anyway?

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.