• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Go and be DA BOSS at the Rainbow Bridge Velvet

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
This morning I had to help my lovely Velvet over the Rainbow Bridge. She had not been well for a couple of weeks but over the weekend took a turn for the worse. Yesterday she refused all syringe food and Metacam and this morning her breathing was all squeaky and she was using her whole abdomen to breathe. The vet we saw yesterday took one look at her and said that it was time for Velvet to go, took her round the back and came back with her all snuggled up in a towel. The vet said that when the needle went it lots of pus came out so it was definitely the correct thing to do. She was only 3 years and 9 months old.

Velvet and her friend Betsy came to live with us on April 1st 2016. They came from Pets at Home. I only signed up for 2 piggies but 35 days later I had 5 cos Velvet had reproduced she had Christian, Dennis and Meg. She was a brilliant Mum and she wouldn't let her best buddy Betsy anywhere near her precious babies. The boys were separated and lived in the bottom of the hutch with the girls at the top and when the boys had been neutered, I bonded all 5 of them and they lived happily like that for over 3 years only because Velvet was :yikes::yikes: DA BOSS:yikes::yikes: (Cue music from the Shower Scene of Psycho) and what she said went and nopig dared to go against. In April this year for some reason Christian decided to challenge Velvet's roll as :yikes::yikes: DA BOSS:yikes::yikes:and in a surprise coup took over from her as Top Pig. He decided he didn't like Dennis being around 'his' girls and I had to split them into 2 separate herds so now Dennis and Betsy lived together and Velvet, Christian and Meg lived together. Velvet wasn't happy at relinquishing her roll as Top Pig but she was still second in command and finally came to accept that.

Velvet loved her cuddles and was a very licky piggy. Any bit of exposed skin she would find and lick. She will be missed terribly not just by me but by Christian and Meg too. I put her in the hutch when I got back from the Vets so that Christian and Meg could understand what had happened to their Mum/Friend/Wivelet. I decided against putting in the hutch with Dennis and Betsy because they hadn't been with her since April and would probably be confused as to why there was a piggy in her forever sleep suddenly in their territory.

One of Velvet's favourite things to do was be in a paper bag with hay to snuffle around in so I have buried her in her own paper bag with a bit of hay in in a lovely pot in the garden with a plant with velvety leaves called Angel Wings on the top. I couldn't bury her in the garden as we are moving soon and I didn't want her to be lonely on her own when we have gone and to be possibly dug up and chucked out.

Goodnight my lovely Velvet. You are out of pain and your suffering has ended. It was the last thing I could do for you. The last thing I said to you was "Go and be :yikes::yikes: DA BOSS :yikes::yikes: at the Rainbow Bridge". I hope you enjoy yourself there keeping everypig in line. Guinea pigs live for today and I know I gave you 3 and a half years of happy todays that's all anypig can ask for. Sleep tight Velvet.

Velvet & Pellets 2.JPG

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss. Your beautiful tribute has made me cry.
Popcorn free across the rainbow bridge gorgeous girl.
RIP Velvet. 💕🌈🐾

Oh no so sorry to hear about Velvet!
Your beautiful tribute made me cry so much.
Sending you massive hugs.

A truly special piggy who had a much loved life.
Popcorn free little Velvet you will be much missed by all your friends.

Sleep tight little Velvet.xx

Rip velvet, go and boss my 2 old brother boars over that rainbow Bridge, whatever is at the other side. x don't sleep ( you can have little naps) , you got unlimited grass to eat, the freshest you ever see, and loads of zoomies and popcorn to do, with full health and no life span limit 👍.

Betsy you definitely did the right thing. My first boar who passed away at home, I should have had p. T. S sooner, I let my boy go too far because I couldn't let go. You have got this 100% correct with velvet. Not only this, but you spoilt her rotten aswell🙂

I am so sorry for your loss :(
A lovely tribute to a beautiful girl
Rest in peace little one 🌈 xx

Oh I am holding back the tears here.. what a lovely tribute to the lovely Velvet ... 🌈betsy x

Gorgeous little Velvet :( she was a wonderful little lady so full of character and she had the most amazing life so full of love and fun and antics with her friends. I am so deeply sorry buddy, I know how bad it hurts but you made the right decision as you always would have because you love her. Massive hugs x

Sleep well stunning Lady

RIP Velvet
x x

Wonderful tribute, I think it shows how committed a piggy slave truly is when you can recount all the details of their lives with you.
Lovely and farewell little Velvet with the big heart who captures your mommies heart x

I’m so sorry that Velvet has gone to Rainbow Bridge 🌈 You are very much in my thoughts on this sad day x
Sleep tight gorgeous girl x

So sorry Velvet has gone but you made a very brave decision to help her go peacefully with no pain. That's a beautiful tribute, I am almost crying too :(
Popcorn free boss lady Velvet x

Sounds as if a lot of us shedding tears with you today.
That’s a lovely tribute to a lovely piggy.
It only hurts because you loved her so much.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

What a beautiful tribute to an amazing piggy.
Velvet was gorgeous, and of course will always be famous on the Forum for being the one who managed to keep 2 husboars in line for longer than any other pig I know.
So sorry for your loss.

Oh gosh, what a shock to read. I am really sorry for your loss. At least Velvet is pain free now x

BIG HUGS

I am so sorry! Velvet was one of these larger than life piggies and one of the iconic forum piggies.
She will be sorely missed, but most by you and her piggy family!

What a lovely gesture to bury her the way she would have loved.

I'm so sorry Jackie, I put off reading this as I knew I would cry.You made a very brave and selfless decision for beautiful velvet.

Rip gorgeous girl xx

sending hugs to you and the rest of your piggies
Velvet is now bossing other piggies around up on the rainbow bridge🌈🌉x
Rest in peace Velvet :yikes::yikes:DA BOSS:yikes::yikes: x

Back