• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Gourds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art of Jana

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was thinking about making a nice Little hiding place out of a gourd. When they are dried, they are very much like wood but as a gourd art person, I know gourds require precautions when carving them. I would think a gourd would be safer to chew on than toilet paper or paper towel rolls as a gourd is all natural. I also read in one of the forum threads that a toy for guniea pigs was made from gourd fibers.

Are gourds safe if cleaned thoroughly?

Thanks!

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I imagine they would be, but it probably depends on the type to be honest.
I am not an expert, but I do know that some are ok for eating, and some are grown specifically to be ornamental.
The ornamental type might be dangerous if consumed in a large amount, particularly because when things are dried the nutrients tend to become more concentrated.
And whilst I take your point about gourds being natural, not all natural things are necessarily safe - there are lots of naturally occurring poisons out there too.

Because I am not an expert it is something that I personally wouldn't take a chance on, as there are already so many wonderful guinea pig houses available that are known to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.