• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Greedy, whiny, spoiled...

SteviesKingdom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So one of my newest Guinea pigs I bought from petco last year (BTW, they said she was a he, and he was already pregnant) gave birth on Christmas eve, and now the pups are not so little anymore. I found homes for the 2 boys, but I have the 2 girls and their mom...I thought the dog was greedy for food. They always want food when I'm eating something, even when they can't eat it. If something sounds like food they squeal. If I open my closet door...they squeal. When I walk up the stairs, they squeal. They could already be eating, and they will squeal. They have their constant hay, alfalfa pellets, and I give them veggies on a pretty regular basis which I think now they have become greedy for. They can smell if I'm eating tomatoes and they can't even have those but once or twice a week. And don't get me started on trimming their nails. I work hard to keep them properly groomed, and use a tiny dremmel that is the most comfortable and efficient way to trim their nails and they shreik like I'm murdering them...i couldn't even finish one of their nails this morning cause I just couldn't take it...they are making me want to rip my hair out. They used to be so much fun but they've turned into greedy, whiny, ungrateful little divas....HELP!!

Entirely normal way for piggies to train their human so they can get what they want!

Don’t let them have constant access to pellets. pellets should be kept strictly limited to one tablespoon per pig per day. Also, best to not give them alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa is high in calcium which can lead to health issues.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Wheeking at every plastic bag rustle and movement is normal. As long as they have constant access to hay they’ll be fine.

An important thing though is to please stop giving them alfalfa hay. Alfalfa is high in calcium and isn’t needed. Pellets also should be limited to one tablespoon for each piggy a day. So 3 tablespoons in your case. So cut the pellets now and look for ones that are grass based.

I don't think the poster is feeling very lucky!

By the way, when it comes to nail trimming, try distracting them with food as you cut. You can trim off a little bit at a time and it’s okay if you don’t get to all the nails in one go. Praise them for being good and try again the next day. I’ve had the boys three years and the girls 2, but two of them still ‘complain‘. I don’t know about using a dremmel though...I think how you think of them is also important. Try to think of them more as vocal, entertaining and bottomless pits rather than whiny, ungrateful and greedy. I’m pretty sure they’re not ungrateful nor greedy. You have to bear in mind they’re a little like babies - they’ll eat a lot if you give them a lot.

Another thing is if you get them used to having a snack each time you pass by then they’ll always expect it. But if you cut down (and change) the pellets and just check hay when they’re wheeking, then they will eventually learn. They’re manipulative (in a Nice Way) if you let them 😁

Last edited:
So one of my newest Guinea pigs I bought from petco last year (BTW, they said she was a he, and he was already pregnant) gave birth on Christmas eve, and now the pups are not so little anymore. I found homes for the 2 boys, but I have the 2 girls and their mom...I thought the dog was greedy for food. They always want food when I'm eating something, even when they can't eat it. If something sounds like food they squeal. If I open my closet door...they squeal. When I walk up the stairs, they squeal. They could already be eating, and they will squeal. They have their constant hay, alfalfa pellets, and I give them veggies on a pretty regular basis which I think now they have become greedy for. They can smell if I'm eating tomatoes and they can't even have those but once or twice a week. And don't get me started on trimming their nails. I work hard to keep them properly groomed, and use a tiny dremmel that is the most comfortable and efficient way to trim their nails and they shreik like I'm murdering them...i couldn't even finish one of their nails this morning cause I just couldn't take it...they are making me want to rip my hair out. They used to be so much fun but they've turned into greedy, whiny, ungrateful little divas....HELP!

Hi and welcome

This behaviour is normal. You may find our piggy whispering guides here helpful in dealing with your piggies in ways that mimic how their elders would deal with them; hence why the tips are surprisingly effective:
Here are the links:
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

Please limit the amount and quality of the pellets you are feeding and also try not to overfeed on fruit and tomato as it can cause cheilitis (lip infection) and can also contribute to longer term digestive issues (dysbiosis). Too much calcium in the diet (most of which comes from pellets and water rather than veg) can contribute to the formation of stones in the urinary tract as guinea pigs have a naturally highly alkaline urine and prone to them as a result. Our comprehensive diet guide looks at all food groups in detail.
Here is the link: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Sounds as if your piggies are doing a great job of training you.
Mine also shout at the sound of a plastic bag and every time I walk in the front door.
I have a diva piggy who informs the entire neighbourhood she’s being horribly tortured every time I trim her nails.
Such is the life of a piggy slave.

I have a little trick with Jimmy. I bought a bag of a different kind of hay, a grass blend. The bag crinkles when I open it and everything. When he is wheeking I get a bit of the hay, make a fuss like it's the best treat ever and let him take it from my hands. It works! Ha, fooled him.

Entirely normal way for piggies to train their human so they can get what they want!

Don’t let them have constant access to pellets. pellets should be kept strictly limited to one tablespoon per pig per day. Also, best to not give them alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa is high in calcium which can lead to health issues.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
That's really good to know, I had no idea. I cleared out the pellets 👍🏻 thank you

Wheeking at every plastic bag rustle and movement is normal. As long as they have constant access to hay they’ll be fine.

An important thing though is to please stop giving them alfalfa hay. Alfalfa is high in calcium and isn’t needed. Pellets also should be limited to one tablespoon for each piggy a day. So 3 tablespoons in your case. So cut the pellets now and look for ones that are grass based.
That's good to know, but the hay isn't alfalfa, it was just the pellets and I've cut the pellets now. The hay is first cut Timothy hay and I have some sweet grass Timothy hay that I stick into a wicker tube for guinea pigs that they love to eat out of. Thanks for your advice on the pellets 👍🏻

It's wonderful that they feel so happy and confident that they are really expressing their opportunistic and optimistic personalities - they sound like piggies filled with character. :D
You are very lucky indeed.
They certainly are filled with character, lol

That's good to know, but the hay isn't alfalfa, it was just the pellets and I've cut the pellets now. The hay is first cut Timothy hay and I have some sweet grass Timothy hay that I stick into a wicker tube for guinea pigs that they love to eat out of. Thanks for your advice on the pellets 👍🏻
Sorry my bad 😁

Back