• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Grieving a loss

Rolina

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently lost my first guinea pig after a round of medication that did not work. Within two weeks his health faded and the doctors didn’t know what was wrong with him and gave him 3 medications to complete in 10days. He passed on the 10th day. Due to extreme weight loss and heavy breathing I suspect that he had pneumonia. My hearth is heavy and I am lost completely. He has a brother who is grieving along with me but I am unable to bring myself to think about getting another pig to keep him company. If anyone has dealt with this before, I would love to hear kind words and advice...

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
So sorry for your loss. You can post a tribute to your boy on the Rainbow Bridge thread if you would like to.

Grief takes time - it is a slow process, but remember that we only grieve when we have loved.
The heart- ache does ease but you can’t hurry it.
I don’t have the tech skills to link for you but there are some threads on bereavement here which may help.

Your surviving piggy will grieve but he will be ready for a companion before you are.
If you are close enough to a Rescue they may offer boar dating so he can choose his own companion.
Another option is to have him neutered and then he can live with sows. This what I did when my boar Titus lost his brother.

Members here have a variety of experiences in providing for a bereaved piggy, so I’m sure you will receive more suggestions.

If you do get a companion for your boy before you feel ready - don’t worry.
You will be surprised at how fast new piggies create their own place in your heart.

Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Merab's Slave is right. There's no set time for grief to end, for the crying and 'what ifs' to stop. I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my beloved piggy Millie just over a week ago but still expect her to be waiting with her partner Wilf for healthy snacks whenever I walk in the room. She is now at rest in my garden, next to a piggy that went to the Rainbow Bridge 3 years ago. Millie passed away in my arms and I still have tears in my eyes as I type this. All I can offer you as you grieve is to know that he is no longer in pain and you did all you could to keep him. He would know you love him, but he had to go. There will be a piggy shaped hole in your life, but keep the good memories in your heart and he will be near you. RIP beautiful boy x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently lost my first guinea pig after a round of medication that did not work. Within two weeks his health faded and the doctors didn’t know what was wrong with him and gave him 3 medications to complete in 10days. He passed on the 10th day. Due to extreme weight loss and heavy breathing I suspect that he had pneumonia. My hearth is heavy and I am lost completely. He has a brother who is grieving along with me but I am unable to bring myself to think about getting another pig to keep him company. If anyone has dealt with this before, I would love to hear kind words and advice...
Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss! How upsetting for you! Sadly pneumonia can be a killer disease. :(

It is perfectly normal to feel like this in the immediate wake of a death. As long as your remaining boy is still eating and drinking, you have ideally to 4 weeks to find him a new friend and the time to hopefully process the worst of it in the meantime; after that the lack of companionship can start to bite. You may find at some point that doing something constructive for you remaining boy will actually help to lift your own mood - even if that is currently inconceivable for you. He is ready for companionship once he comes out of deep morning and is picking up his normal life again. If he really struggles to cope and stops eating/drinking (and not from illness), then the need for companionship is urgent and has to come before your own needs. Human and cavy needs are unfortunately never more conflicting than in the first time after the loss of a beloved one.

Ultimately guinea pigs are group animals and very much depend on the company of their own kind, so a new companion is for your boy first and foremost and doesn't come with the obligation that you have to love him before you are ready to build up your own bond and relationship with him in your very own time - whether that is weeks or months. But seeing your boy happy again will buy you that time to grieve for yourself without having to feel guilty or selfish.

Please take the time to read the very practical, helpful and sensitive information and also resources re. rescues and finding grieving support for humans in these guides here. Talking is the best way of processing your loss; the grieving will help you make sense of what you are feeling right now and also contains practical tips on what you can do for yourself.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

If you want to learn more about home support care during medical treatment; especially about support support feeding guinea pigs that don't eat and drink much (especially with serious respiratory illnesses when the need to breathe takes over completely), then you will find this one stop access link for all emergencies and serious illnesses helpful. It is worth bookmarking: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As above sorry to hear your piggie was ill and gone to rainbow world.
Many things hurt out loved piggies and sadly we are hurt when we can't fix them.
Take Care. X