• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Grieving Guinea pig

maithgks

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I had two Guinea pigs, one of whom died 3 weeks ago :( We got the other one (Hurley) a friend immediately on the same day even though it was the hardest thing to do. The little one has gotten quite close to Hurley. But Hurley is not the same at all. He didn’t seem like he was depressed or anything but at the same time, he’s more quiet now. He doesn’t eat as much, he does not make any happy sounds anymore. The two of them run around sometimes, but its surely not the same. I am just worried that Hurley is slowly going to stop eating or something, and he’ll fall sick. What signs should l be looking out for and also, what should I be doing to make sure he feels happier again?

Hi, you did the right thing in getting him a friend and although he isn't doing the same things he was before as long as he is eating, drinking and pooping as normal then you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Do you weigh the piggies weekly? Sometimes a slow down in eating is not obvious to spot but weekly weigh in's to keep a check on their weight would be the starting point. Expect it to go up and down a little but prolonged gradual loss or a large loss in the space of a week could be a sign that something else is going on

He’s not eating as much as I used to before. I usually do not weigh him, but I am going to start soon. How much of weight fluctuation is normal?

What else am I supposed to be looking out for? He’s been pooping fine. Just eating less and is less excited. :’( I’m super worried. Please do tell me if there is anything else I can do for him. If I syringe feed him, what am I supposed to be feeding him through that? Thank you so much for helping me out @Lady Kelly :)

Hello everyone,
I had two Guinea pigs, one of whom died 3 weeks ago :( We got the other one (Hurley) a friend immediately on the same day even though it was the hardest thing to do. The little one has gotten quite close to Hurley. But Hurley is not the same at all. He didn’t seem like he was depressed or anything but at the same time, he’s more quiet now. He doesn’t eat as much, he does not make any happy sounds anymore. The two of them run around sometimes, but its surely not the same. I am just worried that Hurley is slowly going to stop eating or something, and he’ll fall sick. What signs should l be looking out for and also, what should I be doing to make sure he feels happier again?

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss!

Please have Hurley vet checked; the stress of the loss of a companion can trigger underlying problems.
Weigh him daily at the same time and if necessary to top him up with syringe feed. You can find all the necessary information in this guide including when to step in: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Also make sure that the summer heat is not getting at your piggies: Hot weather management and heat strokes

Guinea pigs grieve as well. Give Hurley time to do his own grieving out of the way; he will bond with his new friend when he is ready for it. A new bond is never the same as the previous one; it needs time to grown and find its own way.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

You are welcome to post a tribute to the boy you have lost in our Rainbow Bridge section if it is something you'd like to do and whenever it feels right for you.

I would weigh him first and have a feel around his heft The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight as this will give an idea as to whether he is a good weight or underweight. The reason Wiebke says to weigh at the same time everyday is that there will be a marked difference in weight between full and empty stomach as well as full and empty bladders. I'm not 100% sure but I think the difference between a full and empty bladder can be around 20g alone.

As Wiebke says it could be worth while having a check up at the vet as well to rule out any underlying problems

Okay! I shall try doing all of that.Thanks :):)

It's heart breaking knowing they are missing their friend. I have seen it once where it seemed extreme. Jemima spent half an hour frantically running around the hutch squeaking looking for Bea after her passing. She wasn't alone but had a strong connection with Bea and it just made me cry all the more.

I really hope he isn't losing weight and is just having some quiet time. Fingers crossed for him

Thank you! He just really misses Peanut :( I feel so bad for him. It’s like he isn’t even the same little piggy anymore :(

Back