• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Growling

Robokerr

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All, We have 2 guinea pigs female they are 6 months old been handled since we got them. Lately one of them is impossible to get out of the cage she makes a growling sound and walks around low to the ground almost crawling she also does this sometimes in the outdoor run to the other pig. Any advice? She is happy to come and take food from us of course! And once you pick her up she is calm and will sit on lap quite fine even gets legs sprawled out at times! Tia

Hi All, We have 2 guinea pigs female they are 6 months old been handled since we got them. Lately one of them is impossible to get out of the cage she makes a growling sound and walks around low to the ground almost crawling she also does this sometimes in the outdoor run to the other pig. Any advice? She is happy to come and take food from us of course! And once you pick her up she is calm and will sit on lap quite fine even gets legs sprawled out at times! Tia

Hi!

What you are seeing is a normal mild dominance behaviour called rumble-strutting. Your girls are currently in the thick of teenage, so hormones are running higher than normal; especially around the time your girls come into season and the existing hierarchy may be challenged or reinforced.

More information on sow behaviour and learning to understand social interactive behaviours in these guide links here:

Sow behaviours and problems:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

Understanding key social interactive behaviours:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Sorting out dominance issue with a teenage piggy in their own language and social frame:
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

You may find our New Owners guide collection very useful. It makes a great resource and is worth bookmarking and looking up; the above guides are all part of it but it is much more comprehensive addressing a wide range of subjects. The guide format allows us to update and extend the collection at need. You can access our full and even larger information collection via the guides shortcut on the top bar.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

The growling and crawling sound like rumble strutting to me which is completely normally guinea pig behaviour to show their dominance. In regards to being held guinea pigs are prey animals so don’t generally enjoy being held or picked up. I don’t hold my two unless they’re having a health check. The fact that they take food from you means that they trust you. You can use a tunnel or something when you pick them up from their cage which will help!

Ah fab Thankyou for the replys :)
We have a snuggle sack which we are using to pick her up I think she feels safer in this. We pick them up daily to put them in the outdoor run once there in there they love the grass and will climb on my daugther if she sits with them so I assume they like us :)
I guess who would want to be picked out of a cage it prob does feel a bit scary!

Back