Sarah1515
Junior Guinea Pig
Hello.
I’m not sure where else to turn, and I’m not sure what I am hoping to achieve from my post, but I hope there are people that have been through this that can maybe offer some advice.
Yesterday, I made the decision to have one of my boys, Peanut, put to sleep.
He was around 5 years old. He came to us in march 2025 after his previous companion from the last owner passed away. His previous owners did not want to get more piggies, and so we gave him a home. The previous owners did was a colleague of my husbands.
Peanut settle in great, and we bonded him with one of our solo boys, Coco.
They got on so well, and were always just happy in each others company.
Early December, Peanut got haypoke. He was given drops and pain relief, and it soon resolved itself in a week or so.
A few days later, he had a white patch on the centre of his other eye.
I naturally thought he had managed to poke himself in the other eye!
Off to the vets we went, but the vet was pretty certain that it was actually a cataract.
She told us that they don’t typically get treated, and that peanut would adapt to the reduced vision etc. we were told to just keep an eye on him, and take him back if anything worsens etc.
Until yesterday, peanut was his usual chilled self, eating, drinking, pooping etc which was a relief.
Until…..I noticed his whole eye had clouded right over and looked moist and a bit gungy.
My immediate thought again was a hay pole that had just happened (his eye was fine an hour before when I fed them)
As it was Sunday, I got in touch with the out of hours vet. They gave me an appointment at 12pm.
After a good examination, and her discussion with a colleague, she came back with unfortunate news.
She said his eye had ruptured.
Likely from a secondary problem of the cataract, being glycoma. She explained it as a build up of pressure at the back of the eye.
She told me that I had two options. One was surgery to have his eye removed, the other was to let him go.
I had a chat with her about her thoughts on how he would handle the surgery, and the recovery.
She said the risks would be higher due to his age, but did say that his heart and lungs sounded good. Obviously she couldn’t make any guarantees either way, which I fully understood and appreciated.
I did ask about the likelihood of him developing cataracts in the other eye, and she said it would be quite common for the other eye to follow suit, but again could not say for definite.
I made the decision to let him go. I didn’t want him to have the stress of surgery, recovery and to maybe have to face the issue again in the short term future.
My heart broke.
As we were talking, peanut was in his carrier happily munching on hay, and that is all I can picture now. If we didn’t have the eye issue, then I would have no concerns over him.
I feel I’ve failed him over something as small as an eye.
I just don’t know what I am expecting from this. But what I do know is that I desperately miss my Peanut, and wish I had given him the chance to get better.
Thank you for reading x
I’m not sure where else to turn, and I’m not sure what I am hoping to achieve from my post, but I hope there are people that have been through this that can maybe offer some advice.
Yesterday, I made the decision to have one of my boys, Peanut, put to sleep.
He was around 5 years old. He came to us in march 2025 after his previous companion from the last owner passed away. His previous owners did not want to get more piggies, and so we gave him a home. The previous owners did was a colleague of my husbands.
Peanut settle in great, and we bonded him with one of our solo boys, Coco.
They got on so well, and were always just happy in each others company.
Early December, Peanut got haypoke. He was given drops and pain relief, and it soon resolved itself in a week or so.
A few days later, he had a white patch on the centre of his other eye.
I naturally thought he had managed to poke himself in the other eye!
Off to the vets we went, but the vet was pretty certain that it was actually a cataract.
She told us that they don’t typically get treated, and that peanut would adapt to the reduced vision etc. we were told to just keep an eye on him, and take him back if anything worsens etc.
Until yesterday, peanut was his usual chilled self, eating, drinking, pooping etc which was a relief.
Until…..I noticed his whole eye had clouded right over and looked moist and a bit gungy.
My immediate thought again was a hay pole that had just happened (his eye was fine an hour before when I fed them)
As it was Sunday, I got in touch with the out of hours vet. They gave me an appointment at 12pm.
After a good examination, and her discussion with a colleague, she came back with unfortunate news.
She said his eye had ruptured.
Likely from a secondary problem of the cataract, being glycoma. She explained it as a build up of pressure at the back of the eye.
She told me that I had two options. One was surgery to have his eye removed, the other was to let him go.
I had a chat with her about her thoughts on how he would handle the surgery, and the recovery.
She said the risks would be higher due to his age, but did say that his heart and lungs sounded good. Obviously she couldn’t make any guarantees either way, which I fully understood and appreciated.
I did ask about the likelihood of him developing cataracts in the other eye, and she said it would be quite common for the other eye to follow suit, but again could not say for definite.
I made the decision to let him go. I didn’t want him to have the stress of surgery, recovery and to maybe have to face the issue again in the short term future.
My heart broke.
As we were talking, peanut was in his carrier happily munching on hay, and that is all I can picture now. If we didn’t have the eye issue, then I would have no concerns over him.
I feel I’ve failed him over something as small as an eye.
I just don’t know what I am expecting from this. But what I do know is that I desperately miss my Peanut, and wish I had given him the chance to get better.
Thank you for reading x
