• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Eating But Losing Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggiepops

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There's something wrong with one of my 10 guinea pigs, she is around 4 years old recently she has lost a lot of weight, has diarrhoea and smells of urine? We like to bath our guineas in tepid water in the summer months so we've been bathing her a few times a week for the past couple of weeks to stop her smelling and prevent her being uncomfortable but it keeps coming back. We also noticed her genital area has a swelling one side of it. She is eating completely normally, no changes at all and the swelling doesn't cause her any distress when touched. We are going to take her to the vets this week but I just want some advice as to what to do with her in the mean time.
I bathed her today at around 1pm today and it's now 6 and she smells just as bad as before. I put her and one of the other piggies into a clean, smaller indoor hutch outside while it's nice and breezy this evening and they have a new water bottle (just in case there was something in one of them), some hay and dried food. I give my piggies fresh veg every night so what veg should we give her tonight? Is there anything else to make her better? And what could it be? :'(

It sounds like a major infection, either of the urinary tract system (bladder/kidneys) or the reproductive system (womb/ovarian cysts); it could be either and may require a scan. Please also have her checked for bladder stones.

Hay is making up to 80% of the daily food intake, but it is very difficult to control the intake. It is often the first food group to get dropped when a piggy is in pain or unwell. Step in with syringe feeding and watering as soon as a guinea pig is starting to lose more than 50g/1 oz weight and book a piggy in as soon as you notice signs of illness. The longer you wait, the more expensive and drawn out a recovery is; yours sounds fully developed by now!
Here are our syringe feeding tips, including what you can do with what you have got at home: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Here is what you can do for urine scald. Please change the bedding daily for the time being.
Guinea Lynx :: Urine Scald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back