• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Fungal Nose Stripe

alynch201

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys,

We have two guinea pigs, both Himalayans and both have what we think is called fungal nose stripe.

Having scowered the internet, I don't think this is cheilitis because that seems to effect the lips, is in patches and frankly looks much worse than what my boys have got which is like a bobbly stripe down the centre of their noses. I don't have a pic but the picture below from another user shows it exactly.

It's only midly contagious because one of them had it for almost a year before we started to see the tiniest amount appearing on our other piggy. It definitely grows and gets worse if left but it was left for a long time and it's still just a stripe, albeit a slightly wider one. And finally, it doesn't seem to upset either of them in the slightest. They don't itch it or paw at it and they're perfectly well in themselves.

The vet has taken a good few samples and run them for tests but can't find anything. In the end, they concluded that it was "definitely fungal" and so gave us some Daktarin cream to treat twice a day. They HATE it. We've now done this, twice a day for 2 weeks, so 28 good treatments and it's definitely NOT getting any better. At best, it looks slightly different but i reckon that's because we've essentially been moisturising their noses twice a day. So it looks like it might not even be fungal after all as surely this would have had some effect after 28 rounds?

We're booked back into the vets tonight but everyone's at a bit of a loss now and it's costing a lot to test for a condition which obviously needs attention but isn't even upsetting them!

Any help or input would be great.

1549902441720.png1549902861778.png

Oh and i should say that this condition seems to often go hand in hand with white patches in the eyes emerging.

Because of our boys' breed, they have naturally red eyes so don't know if that would effect this but they have not developed any white patches or any other symptoms that we can see at all.,

Thank you for such a quick response. Looking at some of the pics on the suggested thread, if it is the same thing them it looks like one of ours had a much worse case. You can clearly see the stripe front across the room.

Is it possible we just need a stronger anti fungal cream? a higher dose?

I'll try to get some pictures up to help folks help me.

Thank you for such a quick response. Looking at some of the pics on the suggested thread, if it is the same thing them it looks like one of ours had a much worse case. You can clearly see the stripe front across the room.

Is it possible we just need a stronger anti fungal cream? a higher dose?

I'll try to get some pictures up to help folks help me.

the one with the white nose seems to have it much more.

Oral anitfungals maybe? Discuss with vet, i have no experience of them. Imaverol diluted and topically dabbed on also is worth discussing

Anti fungal treatments get discussed here a little in ringworm thread, can be a case of finding something that works, obvioulsy on face you need to ensure no topical treatment gets in eyes or mouth Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Hopefully the vet can suggest more options

Can’t offer help but you’ve had great advice already.
I’m just offering support and a welcome to the forum

Meg has had a fungal nose stripe for around 2 years. It isn't affecting her in any way. The vet doesn't seem to be bothered much either. So I have just left it alone. It isn't getting any worse and hasn't spread to the other 4 either.

Meg Nose.JPG

My Prince has that. He has skin condition when we adopted him from RSPCA last year. We asked our vet a few times about it (the fungal stripe and his dandruff) but he's not very concerned about it. It doesn't affect anything with Prince.

IMG_20190210_232836.jpg

Last edited:
My Prince has that. He has skin condition when we adopted him from RSPCA last year. We asked our vet a few times about it (the fungal stripe ad his dandruff) but he's not very concerned about it. It doesn't affect anything with Prince.

View attachment 106580
I may need to take a trip to North Wales with my Piggy Napping Torch and my coat with the deep pockets!:bal::bal:

Okay, back to the vet last night and she said that basically, it can just take a bit longer. So it's another 2 weeks of Daktarin and then if that's still not worked she'll give oral anti fungals but she's a bit reluctant as apparently it can really mess with their gut and make them quite sick! Obviously really hooping it works now!

fungal nose stripe is really common in guinea pig breeds with a smut i.e Himalyayans and Californinans. No one really know why they get it and it is not contagious. I have 4 piggies with smuts and 3 have it and one doesn't. 2 live together and it has not been passed onto the other pig for over a year and a half now.
There is not much known about it other than there isn't really any treatment for it.

I would be concerned that the white pig in the photo almost doesn't look like a fungal nose stripe with it being so long and also round his nose. It doesn't really look the right colour to me. Has the vet ruled out Chelitis?

Okay, back to the vet last night and she said that basically, it can just take a bit longer. So it's another 2 weeks of Daktarin and then if that's still not worked she'll give oral anti fungals but she's a bit reluctant as apparently it can really mess with their gut and make them quite sick! Obviously really hooping it works now!
Hope the Daktarin works for you and your piggy.
You sound as if you’re doing a great job caring but look after yourself too.
It can be stressful dealing with an unwell piggy

Ugh... Leela has a fungal nose stripe right now. I'm treating it with some cream that the vet gave Sundae in the past. I really don't want to take her to the vet for such a minor issue that is not bothering her, given the extreme winter temperatures in my part of Canada right now (I feel like it would be riskier to take her out than just to treat with the cream I have and take her in once the weather improves if it doesn't go away completely.)

My Georgie had a fungal nose stripe and the vet prescribed a cream but as I'm very squeamish with that sort of thing, I didn't apply it too often.It eventually went on its own.

Thank you so much for all of your comments. As a couple of you guys seem to be asking for a better description, i have finally taken a couple of pictures. hoping you guys can see although they're not the best quality! So if there are any other advances on advice because of the photos let me know.

Attachments

• Fubar 1.jpg
    Fubar 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Fubar 2.jpg
    Fubar 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Fubar 3.jpg
    Fubar 3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 15
Back