Guinea Pig Impossible To Get Out Of Cage

Birdy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi we have had a guinea pig for a month now, and she is very happy in her cage, and makes squeaking noises when we come in the room, but she hates being picked up. I have tried everything other then picking her up, like boxes but she just backs up. She is very strong and good at wiggling, so when I try and grab her she gets free easily. I do catch her at some point, but I have to be a little more rough then I wan't to be. I have to chase her around the cage for like 10 minutes, before I get her. Any other ideas on how to get her out, and have some floor time?

Hi we have had a guinea pig for a month now, and she is very happy in her cage, and makes squeaking noises when we come in the room, but she hates being picked up. I have tried everything other then picking her up, like boxes but she just backs up. She is very strong and good at wiggling, so when I try and grab her she gets free easily. I do catch her at some point, but I have to be a little more rough then I wan't to be. I have to chase her around the cage for like 10 minutes, before I get her. Any other ideas on how to get her out, and have some floor time?

Ha ve your tried to lure her into a box with a treat? Leave her to get comfy with it for a day or two before you start lifting her out. choose a cardboard box that is fairly deep and place any treats at the far end. cover the top and then sneak another piece of cardboard over the opening in order to transport her safely. she will catch on once she realises that this method is a lot less stressful. Also make sure that your girl is feeling safe enough in the run, which for her is yet more foreign and potentially hostile territory. Use stuff that smells of her already; ideally a soiled fleece for the floor cover and cover the top with a blanket at first.
Please be aware that single guinea pigs are especially skittish; they are prey animals and not wired to be without company of their own. For your little girl you are a large and threatening predator out to kill her. The more you chase, the more you trigger her prey animal instincts and frighten her.
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

it would be great if you would consider getting a friend for her, so she has the 24/7 round the clock company of her own kind that you simply cannot give her, but that she so urgently needs. Sadly to this date, Switzerland is still the only country in which it is illegal to keep and sell single piggies.
Companionship

Hey thanks for the help, I will try leaving a cardboard box in her cage. I totally understand why you should get 2 piggies, and I'm hoping I will be able to get her a companion soon. Thanks again!

I had this with mine, I now use their card board tunnel to transport them. It takes abit of work with a treat and patience but now when mine see the tube they know it's time to go and just get in, no treat needed now! It even helps during floor time, when it's home time I get the tube out and they climb in :tu: food it the key tho XD

It's never easy when they're skittish and hard to catch,
I've found with my new girls who are quite skittish that gently directing her into a corner and coming with one hand on the side of her body and one in front of her head seems to be a quick way to get hold of her for me,
It minimises the amount of chasing around the cage which is important when you need to check them over for health and stuff each week,
I've been told this is barbaric in the past?
But at the end of the day:
A guinea pig is going to get used to you by being held and picked up, this way they arnt being chased around for a long time, and if you don't have a long time to coex then into boxes and such, then this is a good method to reduce stress.

But my other girl Baby seems to be happier of I turn her plastic hut over and she runs into it and I pick her up that way,
Although I wouldn't just pick her up in the Hut, I did that once with Georgia and she and the Hut fell backwards off a two story hutch while I tried to get Lottie out, it was horrific for everyone involved although Georgia was unhurt I was horrified :/ :/

I've read about using logs and such to pick them up but I've never liked doing that because my girls shoot out of the logs at fist chance which can end in some sticky situations like losing them or dropping them and it just makes me nervous.

When it comes to wiggly piggies I find a good grip is helpful, make sure you've got one hand underneath their stomachs and I tend to have a hand holding them close to my chest
This way they can't really wiggle around much,
But it's also helpful to build up time when getting them out for cuddles
A few minutes for new pigs and building up to 5,10,15 minutes as they get more relaxed with you
You can normal tell when they want to go back because they get very agitated and more around a lot
Sometimes they will nip your clothing.

You'll get there don't worry :)

0B25DC3C-4412-405F-8725-5D842420FFC3.webp I use one of their fleecy nests that they sleep and just gently lift this out and onto my knee. I did this for a few days with any new ones until they get used to this happening. Then a few days gently stroking them in the nest while offering their favourite treat.

Back