• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig lump on back :(

abcdefarah

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, my partner was giving our long haired boys a hair cut (and they hate it anyway) but one of them was squealing as if we were really hurting him. Didn’t think anything of it as they are normally an absolute nightmare when it comes to grooming, but as my partner was holding him she felt a lump on his back. Now we couldn’t get a proper feel of it but it’s clear that it was hurting him every time there was pressure put on it. I’m trying not to panic but can’t help but think the worst :(

We are not registered to any vets but are going to ring our local one first thing tomorrow. Only problem is everything going on with COVID-19 I’m not sure they will see him as it says they are only taking on ‘emergency appointments’. Vet fees are the least of our worries we just want to know that he’s ok.

For context, he is around 4 months old. We got him from a breeder about 2 months ago and we aren’t 100% sure, but we believe he was living in a shed amongst lots of other piggies and was possibly a bit neglected. He lives indoors with his brother now, they have a large pen and he is still popcorning every so often, he still zoomies, his eating and drinking habits haven’t changed at all - if anything, he’s become very confident this week!

Sorry for the long post, I’m trying not to worry but I’m concerned for my baby.

Thank you in advance xx

Your piggy definitely needs to be checked over. They should still see you for a lump - it could be an abscess which will require attention

I agree that the vet should see you for a lump which could be anything from a harmless cyst to an abscess.

Please keep us updated

they have said just to monitor it but ring if it gets bigger in 2 days. Feel a bit upset because he’s in so much pain he won’t even let us touch the area let alone the bump itself ☹️

they have said just to monitor it but ring if it gets bigger in 2 days. Feel a bit upset because he’s in so much pain he won’t even let us touch the area let alone the bump itself ☹
I would try calling back and telling them he is in pain and you don't think it is ok to wait.
You are doing a great job advocating for your piggy.

:agr: completely. Specifically express his pain when you speak to them. It’s not acceptable for obvious pain to be left unchecked

Back