• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Neutering Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobalicious

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering how long after a male guinea pig has been newted is it until he can be introduced to a female? I have read online 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 6 weeks?!

I am having to get my Fred newted so he can get a girlfriend after he sadly lost his brother recently :-( I am really nervous about the op, but it needs to be done so that he can get a new playmate.

Has anyone had their male guinea pig newted that can give me some reassurance? He is booked in next Friday. Is there any medicine I can specifically ask for after the op to help the healing process? I am aware of the syringe feeding etc from his brother who has sadly passed having an op. So I have dealt with post op care of a guinea pig, but i guess i am just super nervous in light of what has recently happened with his brother!

Any advice/reassurance would be great!

Hi,

I was wondering how long after a male guinea pig has been newted is it until he can be introduced to a female? I have read online 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 6 weeks?!

I am having to get my Fred newted so he can get a girlfriend after he sadly lost his brother recently :-( I am really nervous about the op, but it needs to be done so that he can get a new playmate.

Has anyone had their male guinea pig newted that can give me some reassurance? He is booked in next Friday. Is there any medicine I can specifically ask for after the op to help the healing process? I am aware of the syringe feeding etc from his brother who has sadly passed having an op. So I have dealt with post op care of a guinea pig, but i guess i am just super nervous in light of what has recently happened with his brother!

I've had one of my boys neutered. Do not introduce to the girls until 6 weeks after his operation. :)

:D In the past, I have had three boys neutered. All came through with no trouble at all. It is not a very invasive procedure, like spaying. As long as your boy is fit and strong, and the vet doing it is competent, there should be no problems.
As ayemee said, wait six weeks before introducing him to a female.

Wait at least 6 weeks post op to ensure that any lingering sperm have died. @Wiebke is able to show photographic evidence of an unexpected baby from a pair who were introduced shortly before the 6 weeks were up. She has both mum and daughter.

Hi,

Here are our post-op care tips, including what and when to contact your vet if things are not running quite smoothly. The experience of your operating vet and his recovery nursing team is central to a good op and recovery, as it cuts down majorly on bad reactions to GA and post-op complications like abscesses.
Tips For Post-operative Care

We strongly recommend a 6 weeks post-op wait to make sure that your boy is 100% safe.
My Tegan is the surprise baby of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar (not one of mine, I hasten to add); she was born 10 days after the arrival of her mum. I have since heard of more cases happening as late as that. There is a crucial difference between "mostly safe" and "totally safe" - and it can happen to anybody. I have yet to hear of an over six week pregnancy despite most good UK rescues with a neutering policy practising this deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back