Kreacher13
Junior Guinea Pig
Hello everyone.
My 3 year old male guinea pig is having problems. I took him to the vet after noticing he was eating very very slowly and dropping food out of his mouth. I took him the same day and they were able to see that his teeth were very slightly overgrown, possibly trapping his tongue. He went under GA and had his teeth trimmed. However, this was a few days ago and it just seems he has gotten worse and worse. He is unable to eat on his own completely. Food falls out of his mouth still, around a week after his surgery. I took him back and they gave him fluids and antibiotics. He’s on metcam or whatever it’s called for pain as well .Ive been feeding him critical care but the problem is he completely refuses it sometimes. I’m talking thrashing and head butting with all his strength so I can’t get the syringe in his mouth. My dad and I both try so hard to feed him but it’s almost impossible to get him to eat enough. I’ve tried everything. Mushed pellets, pumpkin puree. Also, his poops are so tiny and small. It’s obvious nothing is going through his system. (He’s also on gut motility meds to avoid gut stasis. It’s making me so sad watch him want to eat but struggling. He just hates syringe feeding too. (Sometimes he happily eats it but most of the time it’s a fight to even get 1ml of critical care in him). I’m crying just thinking about him in pain. Does anyone have any tips?
My 3 year old male guinea pig is having problems. I took him to the vet after noticing he was eating very very slowly and dropping food out of his mouth. I took him the same day and they were able to see that his teeth were very slightly overgrown, possibly trapping his tongue. He went under GA and had his teeth trimmed. However, this was a few days ago and it just seems he has gotten worse and worse. He is unable to eat on his own completely. Food falls out of his mouth still, around a week after his surgery. I took him back and they gave him fluids and antibiotics. He’s on metcam or whatever it’s called for pain as well .Ive been feeding him critical care but the problem is he completely refuses it sometimes. I’m talking thrashing and head butting with all his strength so I can’t get the syringe in his mouth. My dad and I both try so hard to feed him but it’s almost impossible to get him to eat enough. I’ve tried everything. Mushed pellets, pumpkin puree. Also, his poops are so tiny and small. It’s obvious nothing is going through his system. (He’s also on gut motility meds to avoid gut stasis. It’s making me so sad watch him want to eat but struggling. He just hates syringe feeding too. (Sometimes he happily eats it but most of the time it’s a fight to even get 1ml of critical care in him). I’m crying just thinking about him in pain. Does anyone have any tips?