• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Peeing But Not Pooping

heartsong217

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So two nights ago around 11pm my female guinea pig started squeaking out of nowhere and we were not in the room or didn't even open the fridge to initiate. The squeaking sounded a little different than normal with a little hoarseness at parts if that makes sense.

She had a full water bottle too and she drinks a lot. She hadn't really touched her food either. I gave her lettuce which she ate.

The next day she had drank a little water but didn't eat her pellets. She did eat her hay. At first she wasn't using the bathroom at all but yesterday and today looks like she is peeing. No poop since I changed her litter yesterday.

Right now due to financial issues we cannot afford a vet visit. What could this be and is there anything we can do at home for her without a vet?

So two nights ago around 11pm my female guinea pig started squeaking out of nowhere and we were not in the room or didn't even open the fridge to initiate. The squeaking sounded a little different than normal with a little hoarseness at parts if that makes sense.

She had a full water bottle too and she drinks a lot. She hadn't really touched her food either. I gave her lettuce which she ate.

The next day she had drank a little water but didn't eat her pellets. She did eat her hay. At first she wasn't using the bathroom at all but yesterday and today looks like she is peeing. No poop since I changed her litter yesterday.

Right now due to financial issues we cannot afford a vet visit. What could this be and is there anything we can do at home for her without a vet?

Hi!

Please weigh your piggy once daily at the same time to check the food intake; just watching her nibbling on a little hay is not sufficient. Lack of poos or only very few thin and small poos reflect generally lack of food intake. Please step in with syringe feeding mushed up pellets as an emergency measure as well as offering water. If you feed pellets, you need to prep the tip as shown in our guide to get the fibre through. You can get 1 ml syrninges without needles in any pharmacy.
Not Eating And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

A guinea pig that is not eating is generally ill and in pain. It really should see a vet as you can only keep her alive for a little while at the best, but not cure her pain and illness, which will continue to get worse. :(
In the UK, some clinics still allow a payment plan or you could see whether you qualify for the PDSA.

No vets near our area will see a guinea pig. And I cannot drive 50 miles away to see one. I don't have a car right now and finances cannot afford a vet bill either.

Someone said a blockage which could cost $1500 which is more than more actual mortgage.

Could be a blockage or bloat, both of which are very painful and dangerous!
Is there no-one you could ask for a lift, or for a small loan?
When we take on pets it is our responsibility to provide vet care for them whenever they may need it. I understand sometimes it’s hard but your pig really needs to see a vet ASAP!
Good luck!

Where about do you live? Are you in the UK? If so there are animal charities like PSDA or Blue cross that could help with the vet care bill or treat your pig for a donation. This really can't be cured without a vet.

I can only mimicking the above that your guinea pig really needs to see a vet and sooner rather than later.

It is crucial that your guinea pig eats and toilets rather frequently. Pooing is a sign that their body is moving as it should and that they are getting the neccessary nutrients and amount of food. Squeaking while weeing is usually a sign of pain and could indicate she is struggling to urinate- perhaps due to a UTI or a bladder stone. Too much calcium is one cause of bladder stones and you could cut down on leafy greens like lettuce to reduce the calcium intake instead giving cucumber or bell pepper.

I would also start syringe feeding her a mix of her pellets with warm water so it's a paste. This will keep her gut moving until a vet is seen. It might be an idea to gently massage her tummy -what does her tummy feel like is it hard or soft?

Keep her warm, hydrated and fed. Though it is important she recieves veterinary care.

Back