• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig pooping blood

Guptheguineapig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good afternoon (here in the US it’s afternoon) My guinea pig was diagnosed with a nasty UTI on the 9th of May, 5 days ago. She was prescribed Enroflaxacin .53ml. I noticed her poop became a bit softer yesterday and today. I was giving her no veggies and probiotics to try and combat it. Called the vet this morning, and they said stop meds immediately so I did. Around 1pm today I noticed blood with the stool. Immediately rushed her to the vet. She is there overnight. Had this happened to anyone before? Is this fatal? I just lost two other pigs in two months (One from chronic illness she had before I got her the other it was a freak occurrence with some unknown infection she has inside her body possibly internal abscess what we all thought was reproductive based...it wasn’t) Anyway, I cant lose another 🥺. Has anyone had this? Will she be able to bounce back? :(

Update: Samoa’s stool is returning to normal, but when I got home she immediately peed and there was blood again. This is a double edged sword because she just had a life threatening reaction to Baytril/enroflaxacin, but she still has her UTI. Any advice what I should do? I don’t want to annoy the hospital staff either. @Wiebke i tagged you because you have offered really good advice when I have had unfortunate circumstances with my pigs.

Wiebke is not on the forum for a couple of days, but I would contact your vet again And see if there is a different antibiotic which could be tried. The uti obviously does need treating

I’ll tag in some other health contributors as well @Siikibam @Pound Shilling & Pig @Swissgreys

Last edited:
If she has had a bad reaction to the Baytril, did they give her a different antibiotic for the remainder of the course? When my Shelly had a bad reaction to It, that's what our vet did and she did pick up although the first night was a bit touch and go.
Has she been given oral metacam by any chance? Don't worry if not, it's just that if they have diarrhoea, metacam can cause bloody stools, I had a sow spayed about 3 weeks ago and this happened, I freaked out majorly but she was absolutely fine after having it via injection for a while.

@Eriathwen she was given one dose of Metacam this morning and she will be given it for three days. I have never heard of it causing bloody stool. Obviously I am not a vet and am not sure where the blood from her bottom is coming from, so I was going to give her a bit and see if it goes away. Since she was just hospitalized overnight.

I will be calling the vet tomorrow to double check if I have an appointment for Tuesday afternoon anyway, and asking if there should be any action right away as I am still seeing blood.

I hadn't heard of it either until my vet said about it being a potential reaction if the animal has soft stools, scared the life out of me. But it is temporary and after a break of a day or so with injectable, for the stools to firm up, it usually rectifies itself. I would definitely ask your vet about it, just in case.

Okay then I think this Is my plan :
I will continue to monitor her today.
Then call about the appointment tomorrow, and, if she’s still bleeding, mention there is still blood and would it be safe to wait until Tuesday to start antibiotics or should she be put on something now that is less harsh on the belly.
She’s just been through so much I don’t want to kill her by giving her antibiotics so soon after a severe reaction.
thanks for responding quickly today. I have been filed with anxiety (I didn’t sleep) over all of this. If you have any other insight on something like this I will happily take the advice. I’m a wreck.

@Eriathwen @Livia Rabideau @Piggies&buns hello again, was wondering if I could have more advice on the guinea pig stasis recovery...
So Samoa is home, she’s eating and she is being syringe fed three times a day and very reluctantly eats it. My biggest concern is I haven’t been seeing normal amounts of poop. I have been having trouble find any of her poops. Is low poop count part of the recovery process of stasis? Otherwise she is fine she is coming out and munching on hay here and there and picking at food every so often.

@Eriathwen @Livia Rabideau @Piggies&buns hello again, was wondering if I could have more advice on the guinea pig stasis recovery...
So Samoa is home, she’s eating and she is being syringe fed three times a day and very reluctantly eats it. My biggest concern is I haven’t been seeing normal amounts of poop. I have been having trouble find any of her poops. Is low poop count part of the recovery process of stasis? Otherwise she is fine she is coming out and munching on hay here and there and picking at food every so often.

Lack of poop output means not enough food going in. However, poop output is behind by a couple of days, so for example - if she wasn’t eating properly two days ago, then there won’t be poop today. If she eats well today, then you’ll see the poop in two days time etc
But You will likely need to be syringe feeding her more than three times a day - where there is a lack of appetite and piggy isn’t eating for themselves (a nibble here and there isn’t enough), you need to feed little and very often - likely need to syringe feed every two or so hours a day (and through the night)
Have you been weighing her daily? What is her weight doing?
As Hay is the main food intake, a nibble here and there just isn’t enough. As you can’t judge hay intake by eye, then you need to ensure your piggy is weighed regularly as that will be the only way to know whether she is eating enough.

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Last edited:
I weighed her a few days ago (before hospitalization) she was 1059 and today she was 1025. It’s interesting because the vet only said syringe feed 2x per day 18ml each time I am doing it 3x 12 ml per feeding.
the didn’t seem very concerned about her when she was released or I feel like they would have been more strict about feedings.

You need to be guided by her weight - If she is loses weight then she isn’t getting enough. Weigh at the same time each day so you know you are weighing at roughly the same time during the feeding cycle. You are ideally aiming for 40-60ml of syringe feeds in a 24 hour period. As I said though nibbling a bit of hay here and there won’t sustain and that is why you syringe feed, to supplement and keep the system running while they get their full appetite back.

You need to be guided by her weight - If she is loses weight then she isn’t getting enough. Weigh at the same time each day so you know you are weighing at roughly the same time during the feeding cycle. You are ideally aiming for 40-60ml of syringe feeds in a 24 hour period. As I said though nibbling a bit of hay here and there won’t sustain and that is why you syringe feed, to supplement and keep the system running while they get their full appetite back.
Is it normal for guinea pigs to lose weight/have trouble maintaining after experiencing stasis? She has had trouble maintaining weight recently. And has lost over 50g in the past week. She was immediately rushed to the vet and they haven’t found a root to the problem. Her UTI appears to be cleared now. She’s eating fine so I don’t suspect dental issues. If the trend continues I have to take her in for an ultrasound...

I would take her in again. If she’s still losing weight it sounds like she’s still not eating enough. Has she gained any weight or stayed level at all in the prior weeks?

@Siikibam its extremely frustrating because we are feeding her, still giving critical care twice a day, tested her blood, urine. We haven’t checked her with ultrasound yet that’s next probably. Unless it is as simple as she needs more critical care to get more food in her...

@Siikibam its extremely frustrating because we are feeding her, still giving critical care twice a day, tested her blood, urine. We haven’t checked her with ultrasound yet that’s next probably. Unless it is as simple as she needs more critical care to get more food in her...
I’m sorry, it must be. I don’t know about für stasis, but I’d try syringe feeding every two hours in hope she would at least maintain. But an appointment is also needed I think.

Sorry things are difficult

Back