• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Squabbles

DaisyGem

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, recently I've been getting a little worried that Honey keeps on mounting Jasmine. It's not major mounting (I don't think), but Jasmine seems to find it uncomfortable and object by high pitch squealing. Sometime Honey just huddles so close up to Jasmine that she's almost on top of her when she's scared, but I don't think that she's doing that for comfort...

They've never really done this before, and I don't know what to do. Should I separate them (but that might make them feel lonely) or should I just wait and see what happens?

Thanks!:no::ple:

Hello, it sounds like typical dominance behaviour. How old are your girls? How long have they benn living together and what size is the cage?

This behaviour often happens around 'season time'

Have a read of this thread here Sow Behaviour

They are rescue guinea pigs, so unsure, but Jasmine is about a year and eight months (I think) and Honey is about a year and three months (unsure as well)
Their cage is a three tiered things, with six rooms, but I'm only using about four rooms. (they're quite big)

My two did this a lot when I first had them. They were 5 months old. Sounds like Honey is being the voss. The squealing can sound rather heart wrenching but is a normal way of submitting.

Plenty of space, plenty of places to hide and at least two piles of hay and veg to stop Honey chasing Jasmine away from food etc.

Back