• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig still not eating solids after two dentals

Piggy Planet

New Born Pup
Reaction score
In a nutshell, my boy, Chestnut, a lovely long-haired beauty, stopped eating completely some weeks ago - he had his overgrown teeth rasped – still didn’t eat for so long, that his teeth regrew – had teeth rasped again – still not eating – how do we break the cycle before his teeth grow again?

Longer version:
  • 31st March: Stopped eating, so took him to a mainstream vet – they put him on Baytril ‘cos had snotty nose but didn’t want to put under anaesthetic till nose cleared.
  • 8th April: they put him under anaesthetic for a look and found a lump on his gum plus over-grown teeth. Didn’t feel able to treat cos of lump. Said take him to exotics vet.
  • 10th April: exotics vet – gave him anaesthetic – rasped all teeth (said to stop Baytril) – advised could take 2 weeks for jaw to settle cos of overgrown teeth
  • 27th April: back to exotics vet cos still not eating – teeth had grown again – rasped again under anaesthetic.
  • 4th May: Has a good appetite for recovery food, taking in a number of syringes – has energy to move around – is underweight, but otherwise in good spirits – but still not eating solids. Has snotty nose with occasional white discharge.
In the early days, he was showing interest in solid food, even though he was unable to eat it, but now that has gone.

Has a male companion he gets on very well with. Has been on painkillers (Metacam) throughout illness.

Can guinea pigs forget how to eat or get too lazy to do so? He won’t even eat soft recovery food from a teaspoon, although he has drunk from a water bottle.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

I’m sorry to hear this.

They can certainly lose confidence in eating. Have you tried him with fresh grass?
Generally speaking, a piggy who can eat will eat and it can be that something is still amiss with the teeth.

Would there be any chance in you getting to Cat & Rabbit clinic in Northampton? They are the best and most experienced piggy dental vet in the country and can usually sort out issues

I’m sorry to hear this.

They can certainly lose confidence in eating. Have you tried him with fresh grass?
Generally speaking, a piggy who can eat will eat and it can be that something is still amiss with the teeth.

Would there be any chance in you getting to Cat & Rabbit clinic in Northampton? They are the best and most experienced piggy dental vet in the country and can usually sort out issues
Thank you, yes I have heard of them and am thinking of visiting them next.

Does anyone have an email address for The Cat and Rabbit Clinic in Northampton, please? I'm in Derby, so am a good hour's drive from them.

Does anyone have an email address for The Cat and Rabbit Clinic in Northampton, please? I'm in Derby, so am a good hour's drive from them.
Email to:

[email protected]

Mark email for the attention of Simon Maddock

I run a sanctuary for guinea pigs with ongoing health issues, primarily dental problems. We are only able to do what we do, as we have Simon and Kim Maddock as our vets. They’re amazing!

Thank you so much for all replies - very much appreciated. I keep hearing about Simon & Kim Maddock. They sound like real experts on such matters. I'm going to ring them tomorrow.

I also meant to add that I have heard of your rescue too - you sound equally amazing! Thanks for the email address. I'll use that to explain the story of Chestnut before I ring them.

You won’t be disappointed, Simon is an amazing vet, especially when it comes to dental problems

Good point - I'd looked online and it suggested they might open for a few hours, however, they deserve a break too!
Many thanks.🐹

Back