• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Guinea pig stopped eating. Dental appointment due in 10 days.

Karine

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
My guinea pig Sam has been seeing kim Maddock once a month since December to file his molars. He’s stopped eating by himself this week and I'm syringe feeding him . His next appointment is not until the 23rd as she’s on holiday.
I’m wondering if I should take him to my local vet who will most likely anaesthetise him to file his teeth,Or do i wait another 10 days and carry on feeding him myself?

Hi,
My guinea pig Sam has been seeing kim Maddock once a month since December to file his molars. He’s stopped eating by himself this week and I'm syringe feeding him . His next appointment is not until the 23rd as she’s on holiday.
I’m wondering if I should take him to my local vet who will most likely anaesthetise him to file his teeth,Or do i wait another 10 days and carry on feeding him myself?

Ideally, I would say wait until you can get to see Kim, as often more damage than good can be done by other vets getting involved. However, a lot is going to depend on how well he's taking syringe food and whether you can keep him going well, until the Maddock's get back from holiday.

I'm in exactly the same position, going to see Simon on 26th! I'm wondering if there are any other vets that offer conscious teeth filing as Kim and Simon?

I'm in exactly the same position, going to see Simon on 26th! I'm wondering if there are any other vets that offer conscious teeth filing as Kim and Simon?
It's not just about whether they do conscious filing of the teeth, it is whether they can do it right. Sadly, most can't, regardless of whether the piggy is asleep or not! This is the reason that I set up TEAS, to enable piggies to get the chance to see Simon or Kim!

We hear a lot on the forum about piggies getting a bad dental and being worse off than if they had no dental surgery at all. We were very lucky with our own vet to get a very good dental op for Blodwen even though it was with opiate sedation, she was eating hay and pellets within 24 hours and eating as normal no need to syringe feed at all within 3 days. If you can wait for a good vet, and a good dental, and you are clearly booked in with the best piggy dental expert in the country... personally I would wait for the best if your piggy is syringe feeding! A vet who doesnt know piggy teeth could do more harm than good...

Ideally, I would say wait until you can get to see Kim, as often more damage than good can be done by other vets getting involved. However, a lot is going to depend on how well he's taking syringe food and whether you can keep him going well, until the Maddock's get back from holiday.
He’s taking syringe food well. So I’m going to keep feeding him that way until his appointment as long as he’s not losing weight .

What is simons vet like that fills in for him, i think shes named patricia? I'm not sure. But i have seen her before. Dont know how much she deals with guinea pigs. I remember the lady in the petshop next to the old cat and rabbit care clinic offered to clip my old boars front teeth, i said no chance, and she got really angry about simon

We hear a lot on the forum about piggies getting a bad dental and being worse off than if they had no dental surgery at all. We were very lucky with our own vet to get a very good dental op for Blodwen even though it was with opiate sedation, she was eating hay and pellets within 24 hours and eating as normal no need to syringe feed at all within 3 days. If you can wait for a good vet, and a good dental, and you are clearly booked in with the best piggy dental expert in the country... personally I would wait for the best if your piggy is syringe feeding! A vet who doesnt know piggy teeth could do more harm than good...
I think i will wait until his appointment. Don’t want to risk making it worse.

I think i will wait until his appointment. Don’t want to risk making it worse.
This is what I'm doing too with my sows spay coming up in may. I have waited for about 4 weeks now already. But worth it👍. Your problem is more urgent, but your doing rhe right thing. Also Simon knows your pigs history, so thats good

I'm wondering whether metacam and syringe feeding will be enough? Simon is the only vet I truly trust when it comes to dental work.

I'm wondering whether metacam and syringe feeding will be enough? Simon is the only vet I truly trust when it comes to dental work.
Are you managing to maintain his weight?
You could try some fresh grass aswell, start off little amounts if hes not used to it

What is simons vet like that fills in for him, i think shes named patricia? I'm not sure. But i have seen her before. Dont know how much she deals with guinea pigs. I remember the lady in the petshop next to the old cat and rabbit care clinic offered to clip my old boars front teeth, i said no chance, and she got really angry about simon
Patricia was the vet when it was Animal Medical Centre, so is more of a dog and cat vet. She has learnt quite a bit from Simon and Kim, but for anything dental, I would be inclined to wait. The lady from the pet shop would moan about Simon and Kim, yet the minute anything was wrong with any of the piggies in her shop, she would go dashing round to them!

Patricia was the vet when it was Animal Medical Centre, so is more of a dog and cat vet. She has learnt quite a bit from Simon and Kim, but for anything dental, I would be inclined to wait. The lady from the pet shop would moan about Simon and Kim, yet the minute anything was wrong with any of the piggies in her shop, she would go dashing round to them!
She used to feed literally half a bag of kale to two guinea pigs. I watched her do it. Anyway il let this get back to topic 🤐

He’s taking syringe food well. So I’m going to keep feeding him that way until his appointment as long as he’s not losing weight .
I was going to say keep an eye on his weight, weigh him daily to ensure he is getting enough feed. But I’m sure you are doing that :tu: it’s so exhausting but if you can keep it up until he’s seen it will be so worth it.

The only other vet I know who has started doing conscious dentals after speaking with Simon is a vet in Brixham.I can't think which user on here goes there.

I would definitely wait for your appointment if at all possible. A poor dental will mess up all the good work, especially if he is taking syringe feed well x
We have an appointment with Simon on the 24th x

The only other vet I know who has started doing conscious dentals after speaking with Simon is a vet in Brixham.I can't think which user on here goes there.
Yes @Gem789 its Jess at We care for pets in Brixham | Dart Vale Veterinary Group
I think it was @Rory's slave who takes Rory to have GA and now conscious dentals, she’s very happy with her x she has since done other piggies too, she has all the equipment just needs more piggies!

I have asked @sport_billy today if he can add her to the list but not sure if it’s been done yet

Yes @Gem789 its Jess at We care for pets in Brixham | Dart Vale Veterinary Group
I think it was @Rory's slave who takes Rory to have GA and now conscious dentals, she’s very happy with her x she has since done other piggies too, she has all the equipment just needs more piggies!

I have asked @sport_billy today if he can add her to the list but not sure if it’s been done yet
That's the member I was thinking of.I'm glad there's another vet who does conscious dentals x

Back