• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig with Red lump in Inner eye corner

Jessystickland

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have a four year old male piggy who until now has lived a happy healthy life. This morning I realized there was a red lump on the inner corner of his eye with some white discharge around it. He seems to be eating and drinking fine. What could this red lump be from? He does not have his cage buddy anymore so no worry of a cage fight that caused it. Really hoping for some answers on what I can do for my little guy! Below are some pictures.

Attachments

• ewE45iEaSXq28emqjMtZ8g.jpg
    ewE45iEaSXq28emqjMtZ8g.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 3Pu6NpYGTSKXvEyIs+xvzg.jpg
    3Pu6NpYGTSKXvEyIs+xvzg.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 18
Please take him to the vet ASAP. This could be haypoke or something else like conjunctivitis. Eye problem is something that needs to be seen immediately.

I agree. All eye injuries / problems need veterinary treatment ASAP. It could be conjunctivitis or a hay poke injury.

My late Enoch use to have a red lump like that quite regular. It was conjunctivitis and was due to an untreated torn conjunctiva from before I had him. He needed eye drops prescribed by the vet each time it happened

Hi! It looks like a prolapsed gland to me, which can happen with a conjunctivitis. Please have it vet checked.

I agree - a vet check is called for.
Let us know how you get on.
Hope it’s nothing serious.
Holding you in my thoughts.
Welcome to the forum - your boy is gorgeous

Hi guys! Thank you for all your responses! I ended up taking him to vet and they said it’s actually Guinea pig chlamydia! They said it can lie dormant for a long period and then flare up which is why it’s just happening now after four years of having him. He’s scheduled to have the lump removed on Wednesday and will be receiving drops 4x a day for now. Will keep you all updated with his progress! Thanks again!

Hi guys! Thank you for all your responses! I ended up taking him to vet and they said it’s actually Guinea pig chlamydia! They said it can lie dormant for a long period and then flare up which is why it’s just happening now after four years of having him. He’s scheduled to have the lump removed on Wednesday and will be receiving drops 4x a day for now. Will keep you all updated with his progress! Thanks again!

All the best! Glad that you have been seen promptly by a knowledgeable vet.

Good to have an answer to the problem.
Hope the meds and op work well
Keeping you in my thoughts

Back