• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Won't Get Food

Suki&Indie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So first of all when I first bought my Guinea pigs I didn't know as much as I do now and bought a Pets @ Home cage (a large one though) but in these cages there's a ledge Guinea pigs have to jump up to (it's a teeny jump) to get their food. That went fine and they learned quickly but all of a sudden one of my piggies won't jump up, I've given lots of encouragement (putting veggies up there, rattling the food, picking her up and putting her on the ledge) and she sort of stands up so she can see the food but can't actually eat it. Because of this I have to put food on the ground for her to eat :( I don't think she's hurt herself and I had her nails clipped incase those were annoying her but nothing helped so far
(I didn't know if this should go in food or behaviour sorry)

I think a lot of people have taken this ledge out. I would give them veggies on the floor or scatter it around but only if you've just cleaned the poop up first. Mind you they are partial to the odd poop mixed in.

Perhaps she had a tumble at some point without your knowing and now she just doesn't like the height. I would just leave a bowl of food on the floor of the cage to make sure she eats.

Is she still moving around normally? Running, popcorning etc?
And how old is your piggy? Maybe she is developing arthritis and just isn't as agile as she once was.

If you have ruled out illness and injury than clearly she doesn't like jumping up on the ledge for food anymore.
Guinea pigs aren't usually natural jumpers, and maybe she fell off one time and is now nervous about it?

But basically you really need to respect her wishes and just start putting her food where she can comfortably reach it.

I think a lot of people have taken this ledge out. I would give them veggies on the floor or scatter it around but only if you've just cleaned the poop up first. Mind you they are partial to the odd poop mixed in.
Don't worry I always clean the veggie before they get veggies (then they get super excited cause they know what's happening) I tried taking the ledge out when I first realised it wasn't great but it's also acts as a home and they were supper unhappy without it (I got them a different hideout and they would not go in) ahhhhh awkward piggies!

Ok first of all thanks so much for the amazing replies so fast! To answer some questions she's a tiny bit older than 2 but I have fleece bedding so if she does have a bit of arthritis it should be gentle on her although she's super fast and loves to sprint about, I guess I'll have to put her food on the ground so she can eat too thanks for the help! I really hope she hasn't taken a tumble cause now I feel bad :( although just a thought when I clipped her nails I did accidentally cut her quick (and resulted in a total meltdown on my part and lots of veggies for her) I had stuff to stop the blood but could that be hurting her still?

You're welcome, always glad we can help.

If you have cut her quick, it might smart for a little while but it doesn't last days. They soon get over it.
But don't beat yourself up, its all part of the learning process.

I have spare indoor cages that come with those things too, the young ones easily bounce around on them but as they get older they just don't like them. Mine are outdoors now and I still don't use them because they haven't nothing to attach to, but I'm just not keen on them for climbing onto in case they slip. If they are used to having them, leave them in, I used to put fleece on top of them, the younger ones loved sitting on them. Weird huh :xd:

Back