• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig wont take meds

Weebykitkat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i had my male guinea pig neutered about 3 days ago now and when i went to give him his meds which for the past 2 days has been nearly impossible to get him to take i noticed his wound has opened about 1mm on either side of the surgical site and some of the internal self dissolving stitches are now showing my vets are closed and it seems like over the course of the day its starting to open more and the vets haven't given me instructions on what to do if i had to wait to get him in to be seen to and I'd very much appreciate any advice on what i can do over the night to make sure his wound doesn't open more over before i can get him in to see a vet

Are you able to get him seen by an out-of-hours vet? Perhaps they can give you suggestions. Otherwise I would email your vet with a photo and also leave them a voicemail if possible. Are they open tomorrow? I assume it's nighttime in Australia now.

And with regards the meds, what do you mean he is refusing? What meds is he on and how are you giving them? How is his weight as well? That's the best indicator of whether he's eating enough.

No unfortunately this vet is the only one around that deals with guinea pigs I've called any and every vet around before i got him desexed to find a close vet and the one i have found isn't a 24/7 one

As for refusing to take his meds when i try to give them to him he backs up and continuously moving his head and i cant get the syrnge in his mouth and if i pick him up wrap him in a towel he finds a way to turn around in it and if i hold him still he still struggles but i do manage to get him to take it but I'd like an easier way to get him to take the meds with as little fuss as possible he's only 3 months old but as i have 2 other guinea pigs and they are both females i had to get him desexed early so that he wouldn't be on his own the vet said to keep him separate from them for 2 weeks while he's healing. The meds he is on are TMS and meloxicam hes got 2 more days of 1 and 4 more days of the other. He weighed in at 628g when i got him back from the vets i haven't been weighing him as he's been eating more every day since the surgery so I'm not worried about him now eating enough

and yes they open in a few hours but i was looking for info on what to do to stop the stitches from coming out further overnight

I don't know how long you are meant to keep him from the sows. The standard time period is 6 weeks post neuter, but it may be shorter if they're neutered before the testicles descend. For that I'll tag @PigglePuggle @Piggies&buns maybe @Swissgreys may also know.

As for the meds, try watching the video below. I don't know what you can do about the stitches if anything.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Yeah i did read that somewhere but i assume the vet said 2 weeks due to him being 3 months old not the standard 6 months that they neuter them at so hes had less time to develop thats my thinking behind their advice at least. Also thank you for the advice he's due for his meds in about 3 hours so I'll give that way a go and see how it goes

Good luck. Unfortunately it’s late here so most are asleep. And so should I be!

He will still have live sperm though as they start producing that at three weeks of age which is long before the testicles descend so I don’t see how two weeks is safe. We don’t neuter early in this country though. Swissgreys has been tagged and she is in a country where early neutering is common.

To get meds into him, you are going to need to be bit more forceful. They don’t like it usually but he really has no choice!
See if this link helps you Medicating your guinea pig - Instructional video on Facebook

I am honestly freaking out rn he was fine this morning i took him to the vet and they said everything is fine. I gave him his meds but i habe tried and tried to get him to eat but he hasn't eaten anything since this morning I've tried anese crital care but he wont take either moxed with his food, offered on a spoon or sprinkled in ppwder form over his food, i just opened the end of his carrier and found that he has eaten half the tag on top of about 1/4 of the puppy pee pad he isn't pooping much hes done maybe 2 poos in 4 hours and no pees idk to do at this point 😪

Hes only stopped eating food today he's been eating normally up until about 8am this morning I've been monitoring his eating pretty closely

Hes only stopped eating food today he's been eating normally up until about 8am this morning I've been monitoring his eating pretty closely

Poop output is delayed though so it’s possivle he hasn’t been eating enough. If he definitely isn’t peeing either, then I would be speaking to the vet again

Have you been weighing him?
As hay is the most important food source, you can’t gauge whether they are eating enough by eye - even if they do appear to be eating

Unfortunately i can't ring them until tomorrow morning as they closed about 3 hours ago
I haven't been able to weigh him either because i have nothing to put him in to begin with and my parents wont let me use a food container that we never even use anymore to do it with let a lone the set of scales we own 😔

Could you use an empty biscuit tin or a box? And then thorough wipe/clean the scales? You will have to order some scales to use with him.

Ok. Sadly weighing is the only way to know and it is an important health which should be carried out weekly.
Can you buy your own scales and container just for piggy use?

I could buy some yes it'll have to be done tomorrow as the shops are also not open being a Saturday night and he's only interested in hay as a means to hide he isn't trying to consume it at all. I have managed to get about 5ml of critical care in him though he's starting struggling a lot more when i tried for 6mls

I could buy some yes it'll have to be done tomorrow as the shops are also not open being a Saturday night and he's only interested in hay as a means to hide he isn't trying to consume it at all. I have managed to get about 5ml of critical care in him though he's starting struggling a lot more when i tried for 6mls

Definitely do buy some scales, they are very important
You may need to do little and often he has a complete loss of appetite

how often would you say i have to get him take the critical care?

Where there is a complete loss of appetite it’s 60 ml in a 24 hour period. If he only takes a small amount each time then you need to feed every couple of hours.

Back