• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig wont take meds

Alright thank you for your help! I shall set some alarms now and i think since this will be a long night that i will get catch a quick power nap before the next feeding

@Piggies&buns is correct - I live in a country where all boars are neutered between 2 - 3 weeks of age.
If your boy was neutered prior to 3 weeks of age then he doesn't need to be kept apart from sows at all, as he wasn't sexually mature.
However if he was older than 3 WEEKS (not 3 months) then he was sexually mature, and must be kept apart from all sows for 6 weeks after his operation.

When it comes to syringe feeding if he isn't eating then you need to be dedicated and get as much into him as possible. It requires continuous effort at regular intervals over a 24 hour period.
I aim for a full feed every 4 hours around the clock, which is tough. It helps if you have someone you can split this with, but if not set an alarm, prepare everything in advance and just get it done. Hopefully it will only be for a few days.

He is 3 months old, I'm wondering if part the reason for his lack of interest in food is due to the fact that he is used to having other piggies around all the time but due to having so many due to accidental breeding I've had to sell all my males but seeing as he was my favourite out of all of them i got him neutered so he could live with my 2 females but now he has no one around. He's still being active but just won't eat, the syrnge feeding critical care is somehow getting easier with every time i wake up to give it to him and as he isn't touching his water either I'm syrnge feeding him 1ml of a water to 5ml of critical care just to keep him hydrated would suppervised play time with one of the females regularly during this period help him to start eating?

He is 3 months old, I'm wondering if part the reason for his lack of interest in food is due to the fact that he is used to having other piggies around all the time but due to having so many due to accidental breeding I've had to sell all my males but seeing as he was my favourite out of all of them i got him neutered so he could live with my 2 females but now he has no one around. He's still being active but just won't eat, the syrnge feeding critical care is somehow getting easier with every time i wake up to give it to him and as he isn't touching his water either I'm syrnge feeding him 1ml of a water to 5ml of critical care just to keep him hydrated would suppervised play time with one of the females regularly during this period help him to start eating?

It would not be advisable to allow supervised playtime. For one, a mating can happen very quickly. secondly, every meeting is a bonding session which would then be stopped when he went back to his cage, only for it to be restarted as a new bonding session the next time. This would cause a lot of stress to him and the sows. Piggies simply don’t do play dates

Is he in the same room as the sows? Can he see, hear, smell them? If so, then that will stave off loneliness

No my piggies live outside and have only been allowed to keep the male in my room during the recovery period i guess i could try putting him in a carrier and putting him in the females hutch with the carrier door kept closed so he can see, smell and hear them to see if it makes any difference as to where or not he will eat

He needs space to move round and he really does need to be living next to the sows. Having him alone isn’t good for him, they need constant company - even if through bars. Is there any way you could move the sows indoors for now?

No my parents don't want them indoors for anything besides when i give them all floortime in my room and or bringing them in to hold other than that they aren't allowed in my dad barely let me keep the male in my room to keep an eye on during his recovery he said no bringing the others in for company

though he's actually eating a fair bit now so he's made a lot of progress from not eating yesterday but since he still has 2 and a half days left of his meds I'm gonna keep him indoors for that to avoid bring him in and taking him back out and distrusting any bonding that happens while hes out there with them but once the meds are done I'll put him in his cage with the sows so he has company for the remainder of the time they need to be separated for

Back