• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Wounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,
We have 2 male pigs we adopted as "babies" last July making them approximately 10 months old now. They have a 5 foot by 5 foot home. They have been working out their heierarchy for the last few months, but never violently. Tonight we came home and one has large bite wounds all along his back (about 6-8 wounds). Thus far I have washed them with plain water and applied antibiotic lotion. I'll call the vet tomorrow, but for now, what else? The bleeding has stopped, the pigs are separated. I've seen people recommend washing with saline solution. Is this the same kind we use for our contacts, or is there a different type people are referring to? Thanks for any help!

Triton

New Born Pup
Reaction score

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Just thought you might like to read through a few of the posts up the top of each section there's some fab and practical info in them.

Have you got two drinking bottles/bowls and feeding bowls? This helps also. And just check that they can escape from each other and not get trapped in a hidey etc..

Ps we adore pigtures so please add some :drool:
And if you could also add all your details e.g. Where you live etc as then we can advise you on your closest vet etc.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
@Glynis - thanks for the well wishes! I did read that article - so much valuable information. Is there any chance you know if I can use contact saline solution, or is it a specific type? Thank you!
I'll be honest I'm not sure !
I used to use warm water and a teeny bit of salt only in water for wounds etc.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear this. Saline solution can be made by boiling some water in a kettle adding a teaspoon of salt to a cup of this water and letting it cool. Please get some pain relief such as metacam from the vet for him to give at home when you go tomorrow. Sending him lots of healing vibes.

Triton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear this. Saline solution can be made by boiling some water in a kettle adding a teaspoon of salt to a cup of this water and letting it cool. Please get some pain relief such as metacam from the vet for him to give at home when you go tomorrow. Sending him lots of healing vibes.
Thank you!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,
We have 2 male pigs we adopted as "babies" last July making them approximately 10 months old now. They have a 5 foot by 5 foot home. They have been working out their heierarchy for the last few months, but never violently. Tonight we came home and one has large bite wounds all along his back (about 6-8 wounds). Thus far I have washed them with plain water and applied antibiotic lotion. I'll call the vet tomorrow, but for now, what else? The bleeding has stopped, the pigs are separated. I've seen people recommend washing with saline solution. Is this the same kind we use for our contacts, or is there a different type people are referring to? Thanks for any help!
You can use the saline for your contacts or make it at home by mixing 1-2 teaspoons of salt into 1 pint of boiled cooled water. Hibiscrub will also do. Keep an eye on the wounds in the next few weeks; deep bites can abscess as guinea pigs always have got some gunk in their mouths. Good that you are planning to have him vet checked tomorrow. He may need an antibiotic, depending on how deep the wounds are.

I am sorry that things have suddenly blown up so badly just when you are coming towards the latter stages of the teenage hormones. Unfortunately things can escalate very quickly if a signal is taken the wrong way or one boy is feeling cornered and attacks. All it takes is one large hormonal spike. We are approaching spring now when boar hormones tend to be particularly active. :(

Triton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
You can use the saline for your contacts or make it at home by mixing 1-2 teaspoons of salt into 1 pint of boiled cooled water. Hibiscrub will also do. Keep an eye on the wounds in the next few weeks; deep bites can abscess as guinea pigs always have got some gunk in their mouths. Good that you are planning to have him vet checked tomorrow. He may need an antibiotic, depending on how deep the wounds are.

I am sorry that things have suddenly blown up so badly just when you are coming towards the latter stages of the teenage hormones. Unfortunately things can escalate very quickly if a signal is taken the wrong way or one boy is feeling cornered and attacks. All it takes is one large hormonal spike. We are approaching spring now when boar hormones tend to be particularly active. :(
Thank you so much for the kind words! When I was a child I had one girl piggie (because an unknowing vet insisted they prefer solidarity)I had no idea pigs could be so challenging. I love this site though - so much valuable information! Thanks for responding!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the kind words! When I was a child I had one girl piggie (because an unknowing vet insisted they prefer solidarity)I had no idea pigs could be so challenging. I love this site though - so much valuable information! Thanks for responding!
Teenage boars are unfortunately a challenge, especially when they are same-aged and going through the big hormones at the same time.

If the wounds are less deep bites and more scratches, then you are in with a chance of them going back together after the wounds have stopped hurting in a couple of day, but you will need see how that meeting on neutral ground goes. See how they react through the bars and whether there are hostilities or not first.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Triton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Teenage boars are unfortunately a challenge, especially when they are same-aged and going through the big hormones at the same time.

If the wounds are less deep bites and more scratches, then you are in with a chance of them going back together after the wounds have stopped hurting in a couple of day, but you will need see how that meeting on neutral ground goes. See how they react through the bars and whether there are hostilities or not first.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Thank you for the encouragement. Harry Potter is doing well today. Dumbledore is still separated. We gave them loads of 1 on 1 attention, and they have "access" to each other through the bars. Hopefully they get through this. Dumbledore doesn't like being sequestered in the "cage" (a 2 story mini-castle.) He keeps chewing the bars and poking his snout out despite all the toys, ramps and tunnels. I'll keep people posted. Thanks for the kind words. (Btw you can tell our kids are Harry Potter obsessed - every pet we own is named after a character.)

Status
Not open for further replies.