• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsChrissy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 3 year old Guinea Pig ( male) I noticed about 3 was ago as I was cleaning his cage which I do Every night he has a swollen black mark on his back. It doesn't seem to bother him, his behavior is the same he eats drinks I let him walk around my house. I have a clean house no other animals so I am not sure what it could be.

IMG_0123.JPG

It looks like it could be an infected grease gland. It'll be worth a trip to the vets for a check up and posssibly antibiotics.

I will post a new picture today could that also be a harmless growth?

IT looks like his grease gland is inflammed, more than likely due to accumulation of grease or from an infection/abcess.

These can get nasty quickly and can be much deeper than appears to the eye.

Please have him see a piggy savvy vet soon.

IT looks like his grease gland is inflammed, more than likely due to accumulation of grease or from an infection/abcess.

These can get nasty quickly and can be much deeper than appears to the eye.

Please have him see a piggy savvy vet soon.
you could be right I went to PetSmart spoke with this woman who knows a lot about guinea pigs and she told me it could be Abess just for me to put a warm cloth against it so it will burst or it can be a harmless growth. Since it isn't bothering him here is a new picture on took today and it seems that it is drying up before and now

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

It looks like it could be an infected grease gland. It'll be worth a trip to the vets for a check up and posssibly antibiotics.
Hi I took a picture also last week I spoke with this woman who works at PetSmart and knows a lot about guinea pigs so she told me it could be Abess or just a harmless growth but here is the before and now pictures I just want to know for sure what it might be and I can't afford to take him to the vet right now

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

A few years ago one of my pigs developed a patch just like that half way up his back
It disappeared of its own accord, possibly he scratched it off before l get him to the vet
I never did find out what it was

speculation oil from his grease gland that he deposited whilst scraching .creating some sort of skin infection

Though I would get your vet to check it out just to be on the safe side

A few years ago one of my pigs developed a patch just like that half way up his back
It disappeared of its own accord, possibly he scratched it off before l get him to the vet
I never did find out what it was

speculation oil from his grease gland that he deposited whilst scraching .creating some sort of skin infection

Though I would get your vet to check it out just to be on the safe side
Hi thanks for that information I doesn't seem to bother him at all I took a picture of it also I went to PetSmart spoke with this woman who know a lot about guinea pugs and she said it could be Abess just for me to put a warm cloth against it so it'll burst or that it just might be a harmless growth here is the before and now pictures it seems like it dried up

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

It looks like it's getting bigger to me.

If the lady at Pet Smart is correct and it is an abscess then it will need antibiotics, so you would need a vet visit.

If it were my pig I would take him to the vet but I can't force you too. Just be aware that it could get worse and if it is infected then it won't go away on it's own.

I'm afraid I agree that your piggy needs to be seen by a qualified vet. It's all very well asking us and pet shop workers for an opinion but the only way to get a proper diagnosis and correct treatment is to see a vet. Please take your piggy to the vet. Otherwise all you have is speculation as to the cause of the problem and your piggy won't get the correct treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back