• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pigs and Rabbits Living Together? - Your Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Why do most people seem so against buns and guineas living together? As said before i've had two buns living with guineas and they got on like a house on fire. They were the best of buddies. Flopsey and my guineas used to live separate, but went out and played in the run together. The pigs had a house that only they could go in if the needed to get away. But Flospey never showed any sign of being boisterous. The pigs used to follow him round and climb on him! But he didn't care. It's my opinion that they can be quite happy together as long as properly housed.
I want a nice discussion, not a i'm wrong you're right debate. :)

I don't think it's right coz rabbits kick and if the piggie is in the way well it could die.. And they have a different diet and they don't 'speak' the same language.

::) Yes buns and guineas can live together and get on alright SOMETIMES, BUT if a bun falls out with a guinea it kicks out and all the power of a bun is in its back legs. Guineas came suffer terrible injuries or die. Also their diets are very different, a guinea needs alot of vitamin C because it cannot with hold it in its body. :o

Diane

Also Rabbits carry a certain type of bacteria which can be fatal to a Guinae Pig. Can't remember which bacteria it is

It used to be the norm when i was a kid however i saw some terrible things happen to piggies when the rabbit either got mad or amourous :'( I was never allowed both although we did have a bunny at one point. My mates bunny broke the back of the piggie, she never forgave herself and has never kept bunnies since! I do know people who keep them together and never had any problems but after seeing that poor piggie with the broken back...........

Plus they need different dry foods.

This is how Beni came to me from PAH

Picture007.jpg

When i saw him in the run in PAH i thaught that it was a bit of food stuck to his nose but when we got him home, he had been attacked by another piggie or rabbit. His ears are also ripped to shreads, he was in a bad state.

He is scarred for life on his nose and his ears are ripped almost in half.

dcp_0022.jpg

Here is a recent pic

They are a different species

Guinea pigs are social creatures and prefer the company of their own kind. Rabbits and Guineas do not speak the same language resulting in two lonely animals with a lot of misunderstanding

Rabbit/pig combinations that appear to work well for some time usually end in disaster as a happy bunny kicking out his back legs can injure or kill it’s guinea pig “friendâ€.
Buns have floaty hair that can get stuck in a piggys eye.

Some of the good quality rabbit foods contain anti coccidiosis drugs which can poison a pig over a period of time leading to stomach upsets and premature death.
Pig foods contain added vitamin C which is useless to a rabbit.

Guinea pigs require a lot of vitamin C in the form of fresh fruit and vegetables. Rabbits, being greedy and more dominant, steal the pigs supply leaving a pig with bad skin and limb/joint disorders (due to vitamin deficiency) and the rabbit with diarrhoea

Rabbits can spray urine which can damage a pig’s eyes.

Just a few of the many reasons.

To be honest before i joined this forum (and as you know i am a new piggy owner as an adult) I didnt realise that they couldnt live in harmony together and in my innorance as a child ( about 17 years ago) we used to keep rabbits and my dad actually took 2 extra rabbits from a friend at work whos grand daughter was running them around the garden and as my mum and dad were so big animal lovers we took them in, anyway acouple of years later one of the rabbits had died and the other Blackie ( guess the colour of her?!lol) Started to pull her hair out and at that time we were advised to get her a guinea pig for company, we were warned to watch for a bad reaction and as soon as they met each other Blackie and the Pig became like mother and baby.Now I'm not putting this to say....noo they can live together because I'm not, i just think that alot of ppl still do thing they can live together and at that time, there wasnt the knowledge about all the problems that rabbits can cause to piggies.The only thing i can say about the piggy that lived with blackie is that we were really lucky in our ignorance.I now would never keep both together and its a shame a big company like pets at home cant educate their staff to spread the word.

I have done it (before I knew any different) and I know people who do it now with no problems. I agree with comments about different diets etc.

It is like everything - for some it works, for some it doesn't. When it goes wrong, the piggy usually ends up worst physcially. It is usually this aspect of the piggy/rabbit relationship that people focus on (and appears to be most of the comments said so far) but it is also not a good pairing from the rabbits point of view either.

Piggys form bonds with each other as they are social creatures however, for anyone who keeps bunnies will know, the bond between 2 bunnies is very different - they become like soul mates, grooming each other, laying on top of each other, snuggling up. When ever I have seen a rabbit and piggy housed together (including when I did it), the rabbit would sit for ages grooming the pig and then sit and wait for the favour to be returned and nothing. Piggys are not like that in their behaviour. They are different species. Whilst the focus in terms of the physical injuries tends to be on the piggys (and rightly so), there are also problems for the rabbit who can not get that bond that it craves from anything other than another rabbit.

In my experience (I did have to seperate my rabbit and guinea pig) the pairing is not ideal. For some it will work but for me, personally, I would rather see pigs with pigs and rabbits with rabbits ;)

Beaney said:
Piggys form bonds with each other as they are social creatures however, for anyone who keeps bunnies will know, the bond between 2 bunnies is very different - they become like soul mates, grooming each other, laying on top of each other, snuggling up. When ever I have seen a rabbit and piggy housed together (including when I did it), the rabbit would sit for ages grooming the pig and then sit and wait for the favour to be returned and nothing. Piggys are not like that in their behaviour. They are different species. Whilst the focus in terms of the physical injuries tends to be on the piggys (and rightly so), there are also problems for the rabbit who can not get that bond that it craves from anything other than another rabbit.

Interesting

It's really interesting to hear it from the bunny's point of view too. Thanks for that. Poor buns. Its rotten for them too. :(

And places like PAH still put them together?

They need a kick up the whatsit.

Can we like write a letter as a group or something? Give the HQ the facts and make it stop?

I had an argument with a good friend the other week as she keeps bunnies. We got on this subject. I've always hated them living together, but she felt that there was no problem.

Which made the argument even more heated! This is one that my friend and I will never discuss again! ;)

Yeah, I just tried to explain that they can harm piggies by kicking etc, but she was having none of it :(

I always think it must be like putting one of us together in a cage with a chimpanzee as company. Yes, we're kind of similar, but we don't talk the same language, eat the same food or have the same habits. And we could easily be killed by a chimp or gorilla or something. If it were our only option we'd probably snuggle up together but can't say I'd fancy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back