• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Happy 2nd Adoption Anniversary Beans And Toasty

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's been 2 years today since I adopted Beans and Toast. If only I'd known at the time the stress that comes with these 2 pigs... :))

They didn't have the best start to life, unwanted children's play thing and left neglected in a hutch - they now live a life of absolute luxury!

Since getting them 2 years ago they've both developed so many health problems that my life pretty much revolves around them. We're up to approx 6 thousand pounds in vet bills and medications, I've used all my holidays at work just to look after them after operations and when they've needed syringe fed etc. They are the reason I go days without sleep and have grey hairs!

Beans is getting on a bit now at about 6 years old so she's started to slow down recently. She has arthritis in all 4 legs and her hips, she's almost completely blind and has some hearing loss, but I don't think she knows any of this because she hops about and runs back and forth into the kitchen all day hoping for food. She's such an independent pig, she loves Toast and occasionally likes a cuddle from me but she's definitely a free spirit who loves to roam about the house on adventures, she's so brave and nothing seems to stop her, she amazes me every day.

Toast is a bit younger, maybe around 5 years old. She still loves to popcorn and zoom around the place but she's quite different to Beans. She's very needy and gets anxious when she's on her own or if I'm away. When I first got her she was terrified of her own shadow. She would sit in her hidey all day hoping not to be seen - it took about a year for her to come out of her shell. I spent so much time trying to calm her and make her realise I wasn't going to eat her. :doh: Fast forward to now and she follows me around the house and waits by my feet.

I absolutely love them both but Toast and I have a different bond to the one I have with Beans. Over the 2 years I've spent a lot of time having to look after Toast. She's had a lot of problems with her teeth, bloat and gut stasis meaning she's relied heavily on syringe feed sometimes, all day and thought the night - I think it's because of this that Toast and I have developed such a close bond.

I cannot remember what life was like before these beautiful girls came along. Every morning I wake up they're both just there, waiting to be fed and let out to play. So many people don't seem to understand how I can have such a close bond with guinea pigs, but what people don't realise is how intelligent and loving they are, how peculiar and quirky they are, they both have their own little personalities and I love watching and interacting with them.

Their current cage layout (changes every so often).
20170812_091727.jpg

Beans stuffing her face as usual...
20170804_101317.jpg

Toast is such a poser :luv:
20170712_144853.jpg

You can't see me...:whistle:
20170712_150955.jpg

Too impatient to wait for it to come out the bag...
20160810_161540.jpg

Toast loves to climb :drool:
20170704_085204.jpg

Beautiful Beans :love:
20160504_110235.jpg

Toast and her sticky up ears
20170617_101953.jpg
Omnomnom
20170617_102603.jpg

20170623_122011.jpg
I honestly don't know where I'd be without these two beautiful girls. They are an almost constant source of worry but I wouldn't change a thing. :luv:

As you already know your girls are big favorites in our home.
Happy Anniversary Beans and Toast from your Swiss fan club.

Happy 2nd Gotcha Day girls. Good to hear you are still keeping your slave on her toes.
From your Cheshire fan club xx

Awwww happy adoption-versary pretty ladies :luv::wub::luv::wub:

Back