• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

caitlynn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there. My poor pig, Khaleesi, just got her front incisors and back molars trimmed by a vet, who I was told is experienced with this procedure, on Thursday (four days ago). Her molars were overgrown and were causing tongue entrapment and the vet who did the procedure on her told me that they were unable to avoid a few small abrasions on the tongue when trimming down her molars. They sent her home with some metacam pain killer and some antibiotic for both the tongue and for a small amount of parasites that were found in her stool. She is having a lot of trouble eating. She still shows interest in food but has trouble getting it down. Anything I give her I have to cut up into tiny bits and even then half the time she gets it in her mouth and then spits it out after a couple minutes. She was able to get quite a bit of banana today which was great. I've mixed her pellets with water to make them mushier and easier to eat but I don't think she's really interested in that. I've been force feeding her Oxbow Critical Care that she absolutely hates. She's been drinking as much as normal. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to see if there's anything that can be done to help. I'm just looking fot feeding suggestions in the mean time and wondering if anyone else's piggies took this long after a surgery like this to eat again.

Hi there. My poor pig, Khaleesi, just got her front incisors and back molars trimmed by a vet, who I was told is experienced with this procedure, on Thursday (four days ago). Her molars were overgrown and were causing tongue entrapment and the vet who did the procedure on her told me that they were unable to avoid a few small abrasions on the tongue when trimming down her molars. They sent her home with some metacam pain killer and some antibiotic for both the tongue and for a small amount of parasites that were found in her stool. She is having a lot of trouble eating. She still shows interest in food but has trouble getting it down. Anything I give her I have to cut up into tiny bits and even then half the time she gets it in her mouth and then spits it out after a couple minutes. She was able to get quite a bit of banana today which was great. I've mixed her pellets with water to make them mushier and easier to eat but I don't think she's really interested in that. I've been force feeding her Oxbow Critical Care that she absolutely hates. She's been drinking as much as normal. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to see if there's anything that can be done to help. I'm just looking fot feeding suggestions in the mean time and wondering if anyone else's piggies took this long after a surgery like this to eat again.
I would have thought it was still early days what about syringe feeding the mushed up pellets. Have top let us know what the vet says. You probably know this but you are syringe feeding into the side of the mouth?

I would have thought it was still early days what about syringe feeding the mushed up pellets. Have top let us know what the vet says. You probably know this but you are syringe feeding into the side of the mouth?

Thank you for replying! And yes I already tried the pellets mushed up. She hates it just as much as the critical care. She is a stubborn piggy and yes we have been feeding into the side of the mouth. I've also even tried every flavor of baby food I can find but she is just so stubborn. She tries to eat her cucumber and peppers and everything else like that. I even tried mixing the critical care with apple juice and water but still no luck.

I think it's down to the vet, unless Wiebke is around she will have pointers sorry I don't know how tag her

Please switch to topping up with syringe feed to make sure that she gets enough fibre; give her mushed up pellets or a mix of mushy pellets and recovery food to disguise the taste.
Our syringe feeding guide has got a chapter about care for dental guinea pig. They usually don't eat straight away unless a vet is very skilled and practised in guinea pig dentals, which most vets frankly aren't. :(
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please switch to topping up with syringe feed to make sure that she gets enough fibre; give her mushed up pellets or a mix of mushy pellets and recovery food to disguise the taste.
Our syringe feeding guide has got a chapter about care for dental guinea pig. They usually don't eat straight away unless a vet is very skilled and practised in guinea pig dentals, which most vets frankly aren't. :(
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Okay, thank you so much! I'll be sure to take a look. So this long of a time for recovery is relatively normal for her?

I found grated carrot, celery and apple was always a favorite in the first 24 hours home when we had a dental piggie although the apple may be a little acidic if she has a sore tongue. Hope your piggie is back to normal soon!

I found grated carrot, celery and apple was always a favorite in the first 24 hours home when we had a dental piggie although the apple may be a little acidic if she has a sore tongue. Hope your piggie is back to normal soon!
Awesome, thank you so much! I'll be sure to try it for her.

Okay, thank you so much! I'll be sure to take a look. So this long of a time for recovery is relatively normal for her?

It depends on how good your vet is. At the best, it is just a few days, at the worst, the it will take a long time. often it takes several rounds to rebalance the whole system again.
@MintyAndGarry (TEAS)

Hello again. Khaleesi and I just got back from the vet. Her weight was checked and she's actually gained weight which was great to hear. (She's been eating her mushed up pellets more!) The vet watched her eat some banana which she more or less inhaled and was confused. He said he wasn't sure why she was having trouble chewing. He said her front incisors might need to grow out a little more but that her back molars are fine now and that she should be able to grind food. He basically just told me to baby her and feed her softer and smaller cut up food along with her mushy pellets until she can eat normally again. He also told me to feed her some canned pumpkin to ensure she's getting enough fiber. He scheduled a check up for her in three weeks and told me to call in and let them know how she's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back