• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Head tilt

Haileyc143

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 2 year old piggies that I’ve had since she was just 3 months old. Last week I noticed that she’s tilting her head and sometimes has bad balance. The only exotic vet in my area that I trust is booked out 3 weeks. I’ve tried going other places and they have resulted in death of other piggies I’ve had. She is eating, drinking, and pooping fine. She has no discharge in her ears, eyes or nose. She’s not very playful to begin with so it’s hard to say is she’s acting lethargic. Everywhere else I’ve read says it’s most likely an ear infection. And she’s always hated her ears touched so it’s hard to judge based on that as well. I have been spraying a diluted cat ear spray on a paper towel and dabbing it gentley in her ear and it seems to be helping a little. I’m just very lost on what to do. I’m also a very broke college student that lives on their own. I lost my job due to covid for a few months and drained my savings so I don’t have the resources to spend hundreds on an emergency appointment. And the only close emergency vet is the place that ended in a piggie death before. Please any advice will help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 8
I'm afraid all we can advise is that you have your piggy seen by a vet - keep trying the vet you trust and see if they have a cancellation. Three weeks is such a long time to have to wait but I know its not easy in the US though. I would say that its not a good idea to use a cat spray though.

Hi,

Maybe if your vet is fully booked is there an emergency vet that can give your piggy a preliminary look over? Or maybe like a phone call appointment so they can atleast prescribe something...I'm not sure how it works in the US either but I know in the UK when the vet was fully booked he agreed to speak with us on the phone then decided it was an emergency

I hope you manage to get an appointment soon. It must be very frustrating not to be able to get help when you need it.

Head tilt can be due to a number of reasons ranging from an ear infection to neurological issues. I’m sorry that you can’t get an appointment. It must be very frustrating :( I hope you manage to get one soon. I wouldn’t use the cat spray x

Hi,

Maybe if your vet is fully booked is there an emergency vet that can give your piggy a preliminary look over? Or maybe like a phone call appointment so they can atleast prescribe something...I'm not sure how it works in the US either but I know in the UK when the vet was fully booked he agreed to speak with us on the phone then decided it was an emergency
The only emergency vet around me if the one that lead to my piggie death. And they can’t do a phone call appointment to prescribe soenthing, I already tried that. It’s the law, unfortunately

Oh...I'm sorry to hear that...I'm sorry if my questions sounded silly I'm just not sure if they could do it in the US..have you managed to get your piggy seen to yet? If you can maybe ring up each morning to see if they have any cancellations on the day...I hope your piggy is doing oki despite the head tilt and that you do get to see a vet sooner rather than later...

Back