• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Heaving/retching?

popcornpiggles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my 3 year old lady Boo just did this strange retching movement, like a cat coughing up a hairball. She was munching some hay at the same time as doing this so it wasn't like she was in distress. It was for maybe 10 seconds and she seems fine now. Immediately after, I let her out of the cage for some floor time and she spent it happily exploring and looking for treats. I'm keeping an eye to see if she does it again, but should I be concerned about this strange movement? I've never seen it before. It didn't seem like hiccups as they didn't seem random or sporadic, some were spaced out and some were close together and they became more intense right before they stopped.

I don't want to sound overly alarmed, but having lost 2 pigs in 3 weeks, everything my pigs are doing is causing me to panic! I would really appreciate some advice on whether or not this is cause for concern 😭

Here is Queen Boo, completely unbothered by the fact she scared the life out of me 👑 20230926_193928.webp20230926_193948.webp20230926_194021.webp20230926_194050.webp

Looks like your post was missed yesterday evening, I hope Boo is still trundling about but not scaring the life out of you this morning.

My guess is that it was due to eating too fast or maybe something touching the back of the throat like it does in humans. My Squeaks used to jerk and make a squawking noise a bit like a duck sometimes when he was eating. We assumed he was gobbling too fast, he was always fine after.

Queen Boo is beautiful :luv:

Thank you for your response! I think you're probably right as she is happily munching away right now and I haven't seen her do it again. She's a nightmare for doing things that scare the life out of me 🤦🏼‍♀️ but thankfully she seems fine! Thanks again!

Ps. Queen Boo knows she's beautiful 😜

Back