• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

HELP! Injured inside ear.

Nattzzz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two boars Cinnamon and Marble got in a huge fight yesterday. They’re now permanently separated. I heard cinnamon chatter and I sat up immediately but it was too late, I then heard him bang marble up against the cage and marble was just screaming so loudly. I rushed and picked marble up trying to see what was wrong because he kept turning his head. I then opened his ear and saw blood and maybe some tearing. He won’t hold still for me to see it enough. I tried cleaning it with my mom yesterday but he kept on screaming and moving, plus we realized the blood was still wet. We decided to wait for it to dry and now it’s morning. The blood leaked to the bottom (as shown in pic) but the injury is above. The way we were cleaning was with a cotton swab and warm water, since we couldn’t get it fully we put some neosporin inside the ear in hopes it would help to calm down (if there was any pain) the pain and bleeding, and speed up the healing process. At this point I have NO idea what to do. He’s acting normal, no behavior has changed. He’s just moving and squeaking high pitch when I touch his ear or try to clean it. Please help. C95D8F68-741B-489F-8507-0773E943506F.jpeg

Please have him seen by a vet, you do not want the ear canal to become infected x
Good luck, let us all know how you get on

Yes I was thinking that the vet was the only answer in this case :(( is there anything I can do before then?

My two boars Cinnamon and Marble got in a huge fight yesterday. They’re now permanently separated. I heard cinnamon chatter and I sat up immediately but it was too late, I then heard him bang marble up against the cage and marble was just screaming so loudly. I rushed and picked marble up trying to see what was wrong because he kept turning his head. I then opened his ear and saw blood and maybe some tearing. He won’t hold still for me to see it enough. I tried cleaning it with my mom yesterday but he kept on screaming and moving, plus we realized the blood was still wet. We decided to wait for it to dry and now it’s morning. The blood leaked to the bottom (as shown in pic) but the injury is above. The way we were cleaning was with a cotton swab and warm water, since we couldn’t get it fully we put some neosporin inside the ear in hopes it would help to calm down (if there was any pain) the pain and bleeding, and speed up the healing process. At this point I have NO idea what to do. He’s acting normal, no behavior has changed. He’s just moving and squeaking high pitch when I touch his ear or try to clean it. Please help. View attachment 115805

Please have him seen a vet asap! That looks nasty and will likely need disinfection and an antibiotic!

I didn’t want to admit this but my mom is very very hard to get money out of, I really hope I can convince her because I don’t want marble to get sick and/or pass away... thank you for giving me the answer I expected but was in denial about. He does need to see a vet.

Yes I was thinking that the vet was the only answer in this case :(( is there anything I can do before then?

Separate your boys, forget about them ever going back together and gently disinfect with saline solution, which you can make at home. Your vet needs to assess just how deep the bite wounds are. An antibiotic is necessary in view of the delicate location - it is not a place you want to get an abscess in!
First Aid Kit: Easily available non-medication support products for an emergency

Separate your boys, forget about them ever going back together and gently disinfect with saline solution, which you can make at home. Your vet needs to assess just how deep the bite wounds are. An antibiotic is necessary in view of the delicate location - it is no a place you want to get an abscess in!
First Aid Kit: Easily available non-medication support products for an emergency

Please point out to your mum that treating an abscess later on will cost her a lot more... ;)

All the best! I am very sorry for the fight.

Boars don't intentionally fight to the death, but very occasionally a full-on bite can go awry and hit the wrong place in the heat of a scuffle. :(

I have a sow with a permanent 'sterile' abscess/cyst type thing in her ear from an untreated bite from when she was still with her mother and siblings, it's a pain to have to keep expressing the gunk out of it (for both me and her because it's pretty sore getting your ear squeezed!) but the only other alternative due to it's location is complete removal of the ear. If left, you may very well be in the same position, so it might sway your mothers decision if she's aware that leaving it might result in an expensive surgical procedure. Fingers crossed for him, I hope he's better soon! :)

Oh jeez. That sounds terrible... she’s saying if she’s gets the rent payed and everything goes well we will take him. I cleaned the ear and put an antibiotic called doxycycline onto it along with Neosporin it was an hour process but I wanted to make sure he was cleaned at least so the infection wouldn’t happen quickly since we might have to wait a while to visit a vet. I’m so sorry you and your baby have to deal with that constant pain. (This is a photo of the ear after I cleaned it)

Attachments

• A9AA65E0-0534-4FD9-8927-440FE0E0EFBC.jpeg
    A9AA65E0-0534-4FD9-8927-440FE0E0EFBC.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 5
Please point out to your mum that treating an abscess later on will cost her a lot more... ;)
We've just paid £450 to have an abscess sorted. I got it seen to as soon as I spotted it but trust me once it's there its relentless. We had six weeks of almost daily appointments to have it treated and drained, three types of antibiotics and in the end surgery. Please don't leave it x

Back