• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help with illness?

This is how he sits with his back end.
I apologise about the messy cage but he gets upset if I try to move him
I have since removed the mess around him and some of the half eaten vegetables. (This was a photo from when i first woke up)

Attachments

• FE0F00A3-81D1-4E6A-A50D-310FF95D6A85.jpeg
    FE0F00A3-81D1-4E6A-A50D-310FF95D6A85.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 15
Sadly Mumen is having a lot of struggles.
He seems to have limited movement on his hind legs. He almost sits like a human and I'm not sure he realises where his legs are.

He's extremely eager to eat and will clean himself with his front paws, but I fear he might be disabled on his lower body. He just doesn't seem to know how to get them to move.
Oh no poor boy. I have no experience of a disabled piggy but l strongly recommend getting a second opinion from Simon Maddocks if you can get Mumen to see him. Do you agree @furryfriends (TEAS) ?

Oh no poor boy. I have no experience of a disabled piggy but l strongly recommend getting a second opinion from Simon Maddocks if you can get Mumen to see him. Do you agree @furryfriends (TEAS) ?
It's a very long journey but as long as I can get my father to drive me (unfortunately I am ill at the moment so I can't take public transport) I will more than happily take him up there to see Simon.

I have booked him in to my local vet (as the two guinea pig savy ones arent in today :( ) but I worry they won't be able to help him

Oh poor little boy, he seems to be sitting rather like Bugsy the piggie who was kicked by a rabbit companion, that had nerve damage and was unable to use his back legs. There is a thread about him on the forum, he has been adopted since quite recently but was living at the Potteries or Merrypigs, can’t remember which one, they might be able to shine a light on his condition and give you some advice (just a thought). Praying he does improve, sometimes nerve damage can reverse, try to keep positive, sending big Hugs x

Oh poor little boy, he seems to be sitting rather like Bugsy the piggie who was kicked by a rabbit companion, that had nerve damage and was unable to use his back legs. There is a thread about him on the forum, he has been adopted since quite recently but was living at the Potteries or Merrypigs, can’t remember which one, they might be able to shine a light on his condition and give you some advice (just a thought). Praying he does improve, sometimes nerve damage can reverse, try to keep positive, sending big Hugs x

Thank you for some positivity. I've been feeling really down because I wonder if I am being cruel by trying to keep him alive. Its nice to hear another guinea pig has gone through this and survived. I will take a look at your thread x

@Merrypigs Sanctuary Were these the ones? Maybe you could give me some advice on mumen please?

Simon is going to be off next week, until Wednesday, so not sure she would get an appointment, as he is also off Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, so I am guessing next week is already fully booked. I also worry about guinea pigs who aren't able to move around normally, as this must be very stressful, for a prey animal. Animals live for the moment and as long as it's good, then that's fantastic, regardless of what we, as owners, might know is around the corner. However, I truly believe it is all about a life worth living and not sure this little guy has that. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I have to have a very strict ethos, here at TEAS, which is 'to extend good quality life, but never to prolong suffering'.

I agree with Debbie 100%. We had a similar situation with our Ellie and it was so hard but had to make the decision as she had no quality of life. Her front end worked but her back end didn't.

Simon is going to be off next week, until Wednesday, so not sure she would get an appointment, as he is also off Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, so I am guessing next week is already fully booked. I also worry about guinea pigs who aren't able to move around normally, as this must be very stressful, for a prey animal. Animals live for the moment and as long as it's good, then that's fantastic, regardless of what we, as owners, might know is around the corner. However, I truly believe it is all about a life worth living and not sure this little guy has that. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I have to have a very strict ethos, here at TEAS, which is 'to extend good quality life, but never to prolong suffering'.
I appreciate the honesty. Its really hard to know what is the right thing to do. I have been thinking about euthenasia as I don't want him to sufferr. Luckily the girls aren't bothered by him not there so I don't think they will pine.

I feel awful just giving up on him but I do not want him to suffer. I've only had him a year, before that he was in a rescue his whole life and I want him to have the best life he can truly have.

Thank you

I appreciate the honesty. Its really hard to know what is the right thing to do. I have been thinking about euthenasia as I don't want him to sufferr. Luckily the girls aren't bothered by him not there so I don't think they will pine.

I feel awful just giving up on him but I do not want him to suffer. I've only had him a year, before that he was in a rescue his whole life and I want him to have the best life he can truly have.

Thank you
You aren't giving up on him, you are doing the right thing for him. I have had to make this decision for some of the TEAS piggies. I know that I will always do my very best for them, but when life is no longer good, the very best I can do, is to let them go! x

You aren't giving up on him, you are doing the right thing for him. I have had to make this decision for some of the TEAS piggies. I know that I will always do my very best for them, but when life is no longer good, the very best I can do, is to let them go! x
Thank you xx

I've been following this thread and keep checking for updates on mumen.It must be very hard for you to see him like this and to know what to do for the best.Sending hugs xx

Oh little Mumen, he is sitting just like Bugzy! Bug had permanent spinal nerve damage as @Bill & Ted mentioned. After about 2 months he would paddle his little legs along and got quite quick at floor time! He was ever so clumsy but he had a good quality of life (he loved his food, still tried to beg for it! He enjoyed floor time and loved cuddles, he was very shouty too.) and so we rehomed him to live with a pig named Eddie who is 3 legged :) They make a right pair! Although Bugzy had become blind too :(

I suppose the issue is here, will he regain any movement in his back legs like Bug did? How long would that take, and would he be suffering in the meantime?

Maybe if you could get hold of some strong painkillers? Does he try to move at all? :hug:

Attachments

• IMG-20180916-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20180916-WA0004.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20180922_221451533_2.jpg
    IMG_20180922_221451533_2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 8
Bless him. What happened to him?
Mumen is voracious today. He’s eating lots of hay, cucumber and critical care greedily. He also cleans himself.
He can use his right leg as I’ve watched him scratch himself with it but his left leg.... it’s like he doesn’t know it’s there and when he leans on it stumbles.

He has an appointment at 2 with the vet to be looked over and euthanasia if he can’t move

Thank you

He sounds to have had a wonderful year with you. Good luck at the vets. You will know the right thing to do for him x

Oh my gosh he just walked a little bit.

It’s the first time he’s done it in a day!

I looked up signs of a stroke and they match him. I think he’s actually suffered a stroke. Does anyone have any knowledge with this?

A stroke also matches how it happened

He has a flat cage with nothing in it that can make any type of uneven surface. He only has a wood house and wood log hidie so there didn’t seem to be a way for him to get hurt. He never popcorns and he’s always been a lazy piggie

So the stroke makes sense. How good are the chances of him surviving a stroke?
He’s moving a lot more now - just not the left leg and his head is tilted towards the left.
He’s been lifting his butt up using his right leg when he poops also.

I’m not blindly grasping that he still won’t need to be put down and when he’s at the vet in 40minutes if they suggest that I will. I just wonder how the outcome for strokes are?

Oh poor piggy :(
Buggy used to be able to use his legs to scratch too, although couldn’t really put weight on them just like Mumen.
If he’s managed to walk a little I personally wouldn’t consider PTS just yet and see if he can improve on it. Although Bugzy can hardly use his back legs he’s such a happy boy who has gone on to a lovely new home.
Best of luck :)

Oh poor piggy :(
Buggy used to be able to use his legs to scratch too, although couldn’t really put weight on them just like Mumen.
If he’s managed to walk a little I personally wouldn’t consider PTS just yet and see if he can improve on it.
Best of luck :)

Thank you
When he wasn’t moving I was leaning to it more but he’s really trying to move around a little today. It really just seems To be his left side (tho his left arm works as he cleans with it)

Don’t loose heart, as we all know strokes effect a side of the body and feeling and strength can return gradually, don’t write him off yet especially as he is eating, he has a will to live. Good luck at the vets x

Back