• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help With My Pig Please! - Hard Tweaking

Maddipigs3

New Born Pup
Reaction score
ive had my male pig since July 2017. We got him from the pet store ( I didn’t know you should rescue) along with another male. Right away he was bold and dominant. So a couple days later we took the male he dominated back. Hes always been a bit aggressive, and I wanted a Guinea pig because I read they rarely bite. But my little boy is biting me hard to the point I’m scared to go to his cage! If I cannot figure this problem out I’ll have no choice but to give him up:(

Wow this is a strange one.
Lots of reasons why he so angry and on here using the home page are threads and information on all piggie subjects including behaviour.
Your piggie doesn't not like you hes just being himself. Give him time and read the info. Best of luck and :wel:

ive had my male pig since July 2017. We got him from the pet store ( I didn’t know you should rescue) along with another male. Right away he was bold and dominant. So a couple days later we took the male he dominated back. Hes always been a bit aggressive, and I wanted a Guinea pig because I read they rarely bite. But my little boy is biting me hard to the point I’m scared to go to his cage! If I cannot figure this problem out I’ll have no choice but to give him up:(

Please have a careful read through these guides here. They will help you work out the problem in ways that a guinea pig understands instinctively. It is not your boy's fault - you need to learn to see things from his end first and solve them in a way that makes sense to him by using guinea pig language and putting any interaction in a social frame that is acceptable to a guinea pig.

Always make sure that you tell your guinea pig first that you want him to be a member of your group, that you love him and only then you tell him what is tolerated and what not. Make sure that you then tell him that you love him again. This is how a clever guinea pig manages to deal with a problem piggy during bonding or in a dispute by asserting their dominance in a friendly way and by always making sure to make the piggy feel wanted. Then it will accept your rules much easier and will stop the hard tweaking.

Please also respect that your tweaking boy is currently in the thick of his teenage months and is pushing his boundaries to the max.

Guinea pigs are prey animals, but they live in a strictly hierarchical society. If you play by the (guinea pig) rules, they will play by the rules. If you do not establish any rules, he will understand this in the way that he can get his wish to not be handled by what to him is a smelly giant predator.

" Biting" And What You Can Do
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection
All the best!

Oh dear, it's hard to know the cause of it but single piggies are always naturally more scared so are more likely to bite.

It's sad that the pet shop allowed you to return his friend and that they didn't give you more information. I'm sure you didn't realise it but dominating in the piggy world is natural, it's likely he misses his cage mate. I would definitely look to find him a new friend as piggies are born to be social with members of their own species.

The main thing to remember is that piggies are prey animals, they may bite if they're scared or nip if they're annoyed but they're not aggressive. It's hard not to take it personally but it means he's trying to tell you something.

Please have a careful read through these guides here. They will help you work out the problem in ways that a guinea pig understands instinctively. It is not your boy's fault - you need to learn to see things from his end first and solve them in a way that makes sense to him by using guinea pig language and putting any interaction in a social frame that is acceptable to a guinea pig.

Always make sure that you tell your guinea pig first that you want him to be a member of your group, that you love him and only then you tell him what is tolerated and what not. Make sure that you then tell him that you love him again. This is how a clever guinea pig manages to deal with a problem piggy during bonding or in a dispute by asserting their dominance in a friendly way and by always making sure to make the piggy feel wanted. Then it will accept your rules much easier and will stop the hard tweaking.

Guinea pigs are prey animals, but they live in a strictly hierarchical society. If you play by the (guinea pig) rules, they will play by the rules. If you do not establish any rules, he will understand this in the way that he can get his wish to not be handled by what to him is a smelly giant predator.

" Biting" And What You Can Do
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

All the best!
Quality advise. The best. x

Back