• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hi. Wanna Get A Guinea Pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

western_rider12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I've never owned a guinea pig but have thought a lot about getting one. My parents said they will talk about it. But, I know nothing about Guinea pigs lol. So, do they make good pets? Do they stink bad? (Worse, less, same as a rabbit?) What do they eat? How big should the cage be? How often should I clean the cage? What kind of bedding can should I use? Do they bite? Are they nice? Jumpy? Which is better as a pet, male or female? Anything info on a guinea pig would be great. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

There are lots of different threads you can read for most of your questions such as bedding, cages etc

If you could also add your location too it will help us to help you.

Basically everyone has different opinions on boars to sows. I have both and and find that personalities vary.

Generally guinea pigs do not smell and rabbits definitely do smell a little more but this all depends on the bedding you use. Guinea pigs if sows can be kept in a minimum of pairs but boars no more than pairs as they tend to fight if there are more than two.

The minimum size for a cage is 4ft x 2 ft for a pair and 1 ft more per piggy this is to give them enough room to runaround and so they can have their own space.

We are a pro rescue group and highly recommend you use the rescue locator on the tool bar at the top of the page to find you nearest reputable rescue.

Why rescue ?

This is because you know your getting healthy well bonded correctly sexed none pregnant guinea pigs and also if circumstances changed for any reason you always have their back up.

Any more questions feel free to ask and please do have a look round the forum for any more info :)

Hi and welcome!

Which country are you in, please? it will make quite a difference depending on where in the world you are and how good your access to a safe source for guinea pigs is, so you can avoid most the usual pitfalls - that bit is valid for whatever pet you are looking at.

Guinea pigs are group animals; they are not wired to live on their own. Please always get two of the same sex, so they have company at all times even when you are away at school and have a busy social life.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/companionship.37654/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/biological-facts-and-guinea-pig-society.109062/

An important aspect with any pet you have is access to vet care. In some countries this is very expensive, so you need to speak with your parents about saving up for a vet fund. Illness and emergencies never happen at a good time and the last thing you want to do is having to badger your parents about an urgent vet visit with a very ill/dying piggy. Sorting out this aspect is even more vital as long as you are a minor not earning your own salary.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/are-guineas-pigs-for-me.36801/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/veterinary-fees-some-important-information.91847/

Depending on where you are, we can give you contact links to good standard rescues in several countries, which are the safest place to get properly sexed, not pregnant and stably bonded piggies from. Not all countries have the same number of rescues, so access depends largely on location.

For researching the care needs of guinea pigs, you may find these threads here helpful:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/cage-size-guide.120795/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/bedding-for-guinea-pigs-overview.114219/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

We can also provide you with more tips on how to settle in and make friends with your guinea pigs if you decide on them.

As we have members from all over the world, could you please add your country to details by clicking on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. that makes it easier for us when it comes to brands etc.

Your best bet is to do as much research as you can, coming on here is a great start:) But look all over the internet for info on foods to bedding etc. They make great pets( I prefer to call them furry friends) and won't bite unless they think your hand is a piece of tasty veg! Very docile, beautiful animals that need a lot of respect, time and care. Guinea pigs need a LOT of space, which surprises some people. They need a good sized run and plenty of floortime daily as well, as they love to run fast and popcorn and enjoy their mad moments:) Adoption is best if you can, and guinea pigs are very social animals so pairs or more are best as they can get very lonely on their own. Have fun researching and good luck ! :)

Thanks guys! I'm located in Indiana in the USA :P My mom doesn't care if I get one, so I think my dad probably won't care.

Please speak to your mum about getting two guinea pigs and how you as a family finance any vet cost; they can easily come to several hundred dollars in the US if you are facing an operation.

Here are our rescue recommendations for rescues in Indiana that guaranteed rehome only healthy guinea pigs. I don't know whether you have any within your reach? http://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html#IN
You may have more local rescues and shelters via petfinder, but we cannot guarantee how good they are. If you get cavies from one of them or a pet shop, we can help you make sure that they are sexed properly and what to look out for.

I just txt my mom and told her that they do best in pairs. Hopefully they say yes.

I wasn't sure if your user name was the clue to where in the world you are lol but as we have a quarter horse imported from America I could have been wrong lol

Yes we ride our quarter horse western style too and we were competing with her but she was de nerved and unfortunately they seem to be re joining :(

We also ride English and compete too :)

Hi
Welcome, its great to see you checking out this before you get them!

Guineas make lovely pets but do take a lot of looking after. Would one of your parents help you? It's also worth knowing that they live a lot longer than some small animals ( 4-7 years on average). I'm not sure how old you are but your parents may not want to end up looking after them if you leave home for college.

I got our first ones for my daughter ( then 7, now 10) but do help her to care for them. She does a lot herself but it would be too much to do it all by herself.( We feed/ check morning & night, 'spot clean' every 1- 2 days & do a full clean every 3-4 days, put outside/ on the floor for exercise most days, clip nails/ bath as required & cuddle! Would someone help you? Who would care for them if you go away for the weekend or a holiday?

I hope your parents are also looking at the information re care.
I don't think they smell as much as rabbits , but they do still smell, even with frequent cleaning ( well I can smell them as my sense of smell is very good, my husband can't!)

We have 6 & personally like the combination of neutered males & females from a rescue centre. I wouldn't recommend getting them from a pet shop, especially not 2 young males as they can start fighting as they grow up ( this happened to a friend of mine & I now have them neutered with females in 2 groups).

They are great pets, take your time to read & learn all you can first & think about whether its the right time. I'd love to also have chickens as well as the guineas , cats & rabbits & got excited & read up on them but eventually decided that its something I don't really have time for now & will try & do in the future.

Hope this helps, do post back with other questions if you don't feel you understand anything

Hi there, just a little tagline - I've done some work with Wheeker's Guinea Pig Rescue, based in Knox, Indiana. Amber is a sweetheart and really cares about finding the best homes for their guineas. There's also Crystal over at Rescued Guinea Pigs, based in Sellersburg. A bigger scale rescue than Wheeker's, but both have a lot of lovely piggies. They would definitely support you if you wanted to adopt - please do consider adopting! :)

Hi. I've never owned a guinea pig but have thought a lot about getting one. My parents said they will talk about it. But, I know nothing about Guinea pigs lol. So, do they make good pets? Do they stink bad? (Worse, less, same as a rabbit?) What do they eat? How big should the cage be? How often should I clean the cage? What kind of bedding can should I use? Do they bite? Are they nice? Jumpy? Which is better as a pet, male or female? Anything info on a guinea pig would be great. Thanks!
Hello! I prefer females but that's just my personal preference. I feel like they might be a bit easier to match with each other but that also doesn't go with every pig! I have one female who HATES another of my girls! I personally think that my rabbits' pee smells more than the pigs and she lives out in the open air :) If you use proper bedding and clean them out, the only thing you should smell is the hay you feed them! They can bite, I've never personally been bitten but, like any animal, when they feel threatened they'll react. There are a ton of bedding options that are safe, I personally use fleece but I've used care fresh recycled paper bedding in the past. Stay away from most shavings and using straw as they can poke their eyes and skin on it. Good luck!

@AbiS it the way they ride in America. They have different saddles to us but also the position you ride is different too.

There are competitions for riding this style as it is classed as a form of dressage over here. Our lovely Calley was imported and became rather famous before coming to my parents. Unfortunately though they get run into the ground and this is why they go lame and so to keep them going they have them de-nerved so they have no feeling in their feet, which is dangerous.

We got Calley and she was basically given a retirement home and just used for light work competitions.

Thanks guys! Would 2 Guinea pigs be able to live in a in door rabbit cage? That's what my rabbit is in now. If not could one?

Sorry but that cage is too small for guinea pigs let alone a rabbit. Rabbits should not be in cages as they need as much freedom as cats and dogs. My rabbit free ranges and I would never cage him. Guinea pigs need a minimum of 120 cm by 60 cm and at least two hours exercise time out of the cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back