• Issues with online booking at The Cat & Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. Read more here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Home-made treat recipes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeinepig

Teenage Guinea Pig
Oooh I may need to try some of these!

One that I make quite often is a vegetable garland sort of thing.

What you will need:
natural twine
vegetables or fruit (any kind that you want)
a kebab stick
a knife
a pair of scissors

Steps to making this:
1. Select your veggies or fruit and cut them up.
2. Measure out the amount of twin you will need leaving enough twine spare to tie onto the cage or hutch etc.
3. Use the kebab stick to poke holes in the veg or fruit.
4. Pull the twine through the holes in the veg or fruit.
5. tie onto the hutch or cage and watch the piggies have to work for their food. :)

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Readigrass and Fruit/Veggie Balls..

Guinea pig and Hamster Treat recipe:

Ingredients:

 2 carrots
 ½ an apple
 3 large handfuls of oats
 A dash of water
 A large handful of Guinea pig/ hamster nuggets
 Hay/Readigrass

Equipment Needed:

 Blender
 Mixing bowl
 Grater
 Knife
 Peeler
 Baking trays

Making the treats:

1) Peel the carrots and cut the top and tail off them. Do the same for the apple and be sure to remove any pips.
2) Grate the carrots and apple into a mixing bowl.
3) Add the oats, mix together using hands to ensure you have an even mixture.
4) Using the blender blitz the Guinea pig/hamster nuggets until they are in a powdered, or crushed up form.
5) Add to the mixing bowl, followed by a dash of water to help the mixture bind.
6) Preheat the oven to 120 oC.
7) At this point, if you are making hamster treats, you should roll and mould the mixture into small balls and place on the baking tray.
8) If you are creating guinea pig treats, quickly blitz the Readigrass in the blender and then add to the mix.
9) Knead this mixture to create an even mix.
10) Mould them into slightly larger balls and place on the baking tray.
11) Place them in the oven and leave to cook for 1 and a half hours.
12) Take them out of the oven and place onto a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
13) Feed to your Piggies and Hamsters!

Tips:

-To create a hanging chew toy, place a bent paper clip in the end of the treat before it begins to cool, it will set around the clip and thus allow you to attach it to the cage. You can also experiment with different shaped treats.
-Store in an air tight container to ensure they stay hard and fresh.
-Only feed very occasionally

Pictures:

ENJOY! :) x
Love this recipe for the piggies and hammy!
The piggies gave it 10/ 10 !

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Thanks! Although, wondering if it's safe for them to eat.
I gave it to my two sows and they were fine. :)

I kept 2 / 3 of the pellets in big pieces the others where in a powder, I used a tiny bit of oats and hay and tiny bits of carrot ; my piggies loved it!
I made it again with no hay and more oats and all the pellets cut in half and celary instead of carrot and my two refused to eat it!

Chewbacca2004

Junior Guinea Pig
hello just wanted to say to y'all that you should try to avoid treats with honey or peanut butter as they have a lot of sugar fats and salt in them that are unnessecary guinea pigs also love dried fruit and veg

Chewbacca2004

Junior Guinea Pig
I think cos it's just dehydrated grass with all the nutrients in it you can feed quite a lot. we usually have a bowlful in the hutch in the winter when it's to wet and cold for them to go in the run but they don't rly need it I guess if it's in treats they won't eat that many so they won't cruelly be eating that much. Oh and in a lot of recipes it says 'ground up pellets' and probably like me you don't want to put the pellets into your brand new nutribullet. What I did was get all the dust from the bottom (abt 50g) or I also tried this method where you soaked them in water until they turned mushy and mixed into a paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.