• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Home-made treat recipes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can u guys recommend a really good treat that doesn't include hay or readigrass?

:))Made the fruit/veg readigrass balls yesterday with the kids. Was a fun and easy activity and the pigs seem to appreciate their efforts

My balls went mouldy:eek: !

Less than a week in the airtight cintainer and a white fibrous mould appeared. Must have been from the apple.

Readigrass and Fruit/Veggie Balls..

Guinea pig and Hamster Treat recipe:

Ingredients:

 2 carrots
 ½ an apple
 3 large handfuls of oats
 A dash of water
 A large handful of Guinea pig/ hamster nuggets
 Hay/Readigrass

Equipment Needed:

 Blender
 Mixing bowl
 Grater
 Knife
 Peeler
 Baking trays

Making the treats:

1) Peel the carrots and cut the top and tail off them. Do the same for the apple and be sure to remove any pips.
2) Grate the carrots and apple into a mixing bowl.
3) Add the oats, mix together using hands to ensure you have an even mixture.
4) Using the blender blitz the Guinea pig/hamster nuggets until they are in a powdered, or crushed up form.
5) Add to the mixing bowl, followed by a dash of water to help the mixture bind.
6) Preheat the oven to 120 oC.
7) At this point, if you are making hamster treats, you should roll and mould the mixture into small balls and place on the baking tray.
8) If you are creating guinea pig treats, quickly blitz the Readigrass in the blender and then add to the mix.
9) Knead this mixture to create an even mix.
10) Mould them into slightly larger balls and place on the baking tray.
11) Place them in the oven and leave to cook for 1 and a half hours.
12) Take them out of the oven and place onto a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
13) Feed to your Piggies and Hamsters!

Tips:

-To create a hanging chew toy, place a bent paper clip in the end of the treat before it begins to cool, it will set around the clip and thus allow you to attach it to the cage. You can also experiment with different shaped treats.
-Store in an air tight container to ensure they stay hard and fresh.
-Only feed very occasionally

Pictures:
WP_000956.jpg

WP_000983.jpg

SAM_1431.jpg

SAM_1419.jpg

ENJOY! :) x
Love this! So making it this weekend! Thank you x

My piggies love this they even fight over it.

Materials
1- a knife
2- a string
3- your piggies favorite veggies

Instructions
1-cut up the veggies( I used celery,carrots,apples, and radish)
2-use the knife to make a hole in the veggies
3-string the veggies on to the string
4-tie it to the cage and watch your piggies enjoy

Sorry for the bad picture
image.jpeg

Love these recipes! I will definitely be making some. When its a hot day, I chop up my piggies favourite fresh veggies and put them in ice cube trays with some water. Leave them overnight in the freezer and then give them to the pigs! Its like an ice lolly for them :))

Love these recipes! I will definitely be making some. When its a hot day, I chop up my piggies favourite fresh veggies and put them in ice cube trays with some water. Leave them overnight in the freezer and then give them to the pigs! Its like an ice lolly for them :))
Check that's OK cookie I didn't think they could have iced veggies, run it through someone?

these recipes are awesome, very helpful :tu::wub:

For My Recipe You Will Need:
Warm Water
A Food Bowl
2 scoops of Guinea Pig Food
Cold Water
Chopped Up Carrots

Steps:
1-Fill up the food bowl with warm water
2-Put chopped carrots in water
3-Boil for 3 minutes
4-When done drain out the carrots
5-Put 2 scoops of food in the bowl
6-Add 11 drops of cold water to food
7-Add and Mix
8-Let them eat!

Se connecter à Facebook | Facebook - this is a rabbit group on Facebook who makes healthy treats and I think the proceeds go to her rescue. I haven't bought any yet but my friend bought some for her rabbits and is eagerly awaiting their delivery! They do look good, you would have to join the group before seeing the different flavours, but there are loads and loads.

Se connecter à Facebook | Facebook - this is a rabbit group on Facebook who makes healthy treats and I think the proceeds go to her rescue. I haven't bought any yet but my friend bought some for her rabbits and is eagerly awaiting their delivery! They do look good, you would have to join the group before seeing the different flavours, but there are loads and loads.
Are these ok for guinea pigs, i've never heard of piggies eating oats before.

As far as I'm aware piggies can be fed oats, although I think they can be quite fattening so only in small amounts/in moderation. I've seen people suggest them as winter addition to their diet to keep weight on some piggies.

As far as I'm aware piggies can be fed oats, although I think they can be quite fattening so only in small amounts/in moderation. I've seen people suggest them as winter addition to their diet to keep weight on some piggies.

I agree with above :) when we adopted one of our boys he came from the animal rescue that didn't have much money and he was rather underweight for his age. We fed him oats alongside normal veggie and bag diet to speed the process up as he was very very small. X

I know this isn't really a treat but this is how I make hay tunnels:

You need:
A roll of toilet paper, paper towels, or maybe tissues.
Some smaller bits of hay
Glass jar
Optional:
Some bright colored veggie or fruit such as spinach, (makes a greenish yellow), or blueberries, (makes purple). I bet strawberries would give a gorgeous red or pink!
Ground pellet dust
A few oats

How to make:
Wet the toilet paper and stick it around the jar until it's the size, shape, and thickness you want it. Unless you have a larger jar probably you don't want your guinea pig to actually be able to get into it, in the chance he or she might get stuck. (Help) :no: Pour dye onto it probably using a spoon, doesn't really matter what it looks like, the hay pretty much covers everything leaving only small traces of color. This part isn't really needed doesn't make much difference either way but I personally enjoy trying to make the veggie dye. On a paper plate put the hay, oats, and crushed pellets. (Or anything you could think of really that would dry well. ;)) You can leave it on your countertop overnight or so but I was worried about it molding before it dried properly, so mine was put in the oven at 200 degrees. It took a long time to dry, but worked very well.

Veggie or Fruit Dye:
I've only used spinach and blueberries before but I'm sure that pretty much any veggie with a more vibrant color could be used. I boiled it on high until the water changed color. You can boil it as long as you want to get a stronger color, but don't be like me and let of the water evaporate out in the meantime! :soz:

Hope you have as much fun as I did making this and hope your piggies like to too! :tu:

IMG_20170326_1650475_rewind.jpg IMG_20170327_1115578_rewind.jpg

IMG_20170327_1118065_rewind.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back