• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Home-made treat recipes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Readigrass and Fruit/Veggie Balls..

Guinea pig and Hamster Treat recipe:

Ingredients:

 2 carrots
 ½ an apple
 3 large handfuls of oats
 A dash of water
 A large handful of Guinea pig/ hamster nuggets
 Hay/Readigrass

Equipment Needed:

 Blender
 Mixing bowl
 Grater
 Knife
 Peeler
 Baking trays

Making the treats:

1) Peel the carrots and cut the top and tail off them. Do the same for the apple and be sure to remove any pips.
2) Grate the carrots and apple into a mixing bowl.
3) Add the oats, mix together using hands to ensure you have an even mixture.
4) Using the blender blitz the Guinea pig/hamster nuggets until they are in a powdered, or crushed up form.
5) Add to the mixing bowl, followed by a dash of water to help the mixture bind.
6) Preheat the oven to 120 oC.
7) At this point, if you are making hamster treats, you should roll and mould the mixture into small balls and place on the baking tray.
8) If you are creating guinea pig treats, quickly blitz the Readigrass in the blender and then add to the mix.
9) Knead this mixture to create an even mix.
10) Mould them into slightly larger balls and place on the baking tray.
11) Place them in the oven and leave to cook for 1 and a half hours.
12) Take them out of the oven and place onto a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
13) Feed to your Piggies and Hamsters!

Tips:

-To create a hanging chew toy, place a bent paper clip in the end of the treat before it begins to cool, it will set around the clip and thus allow you to attach it to the cage. You can also experiment with different shaped treats.
-Store in an air tight container to ensure they stay hard and fresh.
-Only feed very occasionally

Pictures:
WP_000956.jpg

WP_000983.jpg

SAM_1431.jpg

SAM_1419.jpg

ENJOY! :) x

Just wondering how much hay/redigrass do you use approx? Think I will making some of these this weekend :)

Hiya, its up to you and your piggies preferences. I used two large handfuls to ensure there was an even amount of readigrass throughout the mix :)) x

How to make a homemade veg kebab -
You will need:

Scissors
Cardboard
Cardboard tubes (paper towel tubes, toilet roll tubes)
Pencil
Strong wire (make sure it isn't sharp)
Kebab skewer
Rubber/eraser
Vegetables/fruit
Hungry piggies

Step 1 Cut out some cardboard shapes. They can be however big you want. If you need to, draw in pencil a light outline. Now cut them.

Step 2 With your kebab skewer make some small holes in your cardboard shapes. Make them big enough so you can slide them onto the wire.

Step 3 Flatten one of your cardboard tubes and cut straight so that you will end up with little circular rings. If you cut length ways, you will end up with just a strip of cardboard, so make sure you do it width ways.

Step 4 Add your first shape onto the wire. You will have to twist the shorter piece of wire round the longer bit. Make sure that there are no sharp edges or loops so your piggies don't get their paws stuck or scraped. I folded the wire over so that there were no sharp ends first.

Step 5 Grab some veg or fruit. With your skewer, poke a hole in the center of the fruit/veg.

Step 6 Slide on the cardboard shapes and veg and the cardboard rings you made.

Step 7 Find some hungry piggies! Once you've got some, ask them if they want a kebab!

Step 8 Clip it onto the cage. I twisted mine on the top wire of one of the C&C grids. If you have a store bought cage you might be able to attach it onto the roof of the cage instead.

Also - You can stuff hay into the cardboard rings if you like. This took me about 10 - 20 minutes, but it depends how big you make your kebab. It works as a great boredom breaker and it's really cheap to make. I got fed up of buying all the expensive pet store kebabs so I experimented and made my pigs a homemade one. They actually prefer it!

I'll post some new pictures soon when I make on again as I managed to delete them form photobucket. Thanks for the great grass treat recipe Skelly:)

These sound really great. The only thing that bothers me would not the cooking destroy vitamins? Do they store ok? Thanks for replying!?/

These sound really great. The only thing that bothers me would not the cooking destroy vitamins? Do they store ok? Thanks for replying!?/
As with cooking most foods a portion of the vitamins are lost, but some remain along with the high fibre content. So they are still a yummy, healthy treat x
Air tight containers are the best storage, just make sure the treats are thoroughly cooked and cooled before popping them in. :)

Treat Kebab - Pictures

You will need...
IMG_1439.jpg
[/IMG]

Draw out your shapes
IMG_1438.jpg
[/IMG]

Cut them out
IMG_1442.jpg

Cut some cardboard tubes up to make more chews. Poke each cardboard shape with the skewer to create a hole.
Poke little holes into your veg and slide a cardboard shape onto the wire. Tie off the end to make it secure and ensure that there are no sharp edges. Now alternate and put some veg on and repeat this process until your kebab is finished.
IMG_1444.jpg
[/IMG]
Find some hungry piggies
IMG_1448.jpg
[/IMG]

Note - Be sure to check the kebab regularly and if necessary add more cardboard and veg again. You can also stuff hay into the cardboard circular shaped chews.

I just made a treat that looks apatizing, but when I tried to get it off the pan, it stuck to the pan and didn't stick together. Only the treats at the corners of the pan stuck together except the bottom, which stuck to the pan. Should I add more heat? And what about the sticking to the pan. This is how I made it:

1. First I put water on a little more than a cup of pellets, so that they turn to powder. It is already in a bowl.
2. Next, I cut 2 baby carrots into tiny pieces and put them in the pellet powder.
3. Then, I cut two medium sized pieces of romaine lettuce into small pieces and put them into the carrot/pellet powder mixture.
4. Next, I put water on the mixture until it was thick.
5. Then, I stirred the mixture.
6. Next, I put cookie dough sized piles of the muck on a pan.
7. Then, I put small pieces of hay on the top of each pile.
8. Then, I baked them in the oven at 220°F for 1 hour and a half.
9. Next, I took them out and let them sit for 15 minutes.
10. Finally, I tried to get them off the pan, but they stuck to the pan and all except for the
treats on the corners, crumbled.
Help!:...

I just made a treat that looks apatizing, but when I tried to get it off the pan, it stuck to the pan and didn't stick together. Only the treats at the corners of the pan stuck together except the bottom, which stuck to the pan. Should I add more heat? And what about the sticking to the pan. This is how I made it:

1. First I put water on a little more than a cup of pellets, so that they turn to powder. It is already in a bowl.
2. Next, I cut 2 baby carrots into tiny pieces and put them in the pellet powder.
3. Then, I cut two medium sized pieces of romaine lettuce into small pieces and put them into the carrot/pellet powder mixture.
4. Next, I put water on the mixture until it was thick.
5. Then, I stirred the mixture.
6. Next, I put cookie dough sized piles of the muck on a pan.
7. Then, I put small pieces of hay on the top of each pile.
8. Then, I baked them in the oven at 220°F for 1 hour and a half.
9. Next, I took them out and let them sit for 15 minutes.
10. Finally, I tried to get them off the pan, but they stuck to the pan and all except for the
treats on the corners, crumbled.
Help!:...

I would try parchment paper. It's sold where foil, and plastic bags are sold. Most stores should have it. (at least in the US) I don't bake anything without it. It keeps things from sticking to the pan, and they don't stick to the paper. You may also try adjusting the amount of water, heat, and/or baking time.

Hope this helps, IHorse

loo roll veg

made these for the buns and piggies today to keep them occupied whilst we are at work, went down well :-) really easy just remember to collect your loo roll tubes (you must cut down the sides of this to stop stuck pigs :-0)or in the rabbits case cereal boxes.

you need:
lots of hay and their fav veg - in this case carrots, apples, cucumber and specially for rocky strawberries...

pigtreats008.jpg

pigtreats003.jpg

pigtreats001.jpg

made these for the buns and piggies today to keep them occupied whilst we are at work, went down well :-) really easy just remember to collect your loo roll tubes (you must cut down the sides of this to stop stuck pigs :-0)or in the rabbits case cereal boxes.

you need:
lots of hay and their fav veg - in this case carrots, apples, cucumber and specially for rocky strawberries...

pigtreats008.jpg

pigtreats003.jpg

pigtreats001.jpg

Great idea!

Mines abit more simple..

get a woodlands stick, put some veggies on, put it between the bars & done :)

IMG02357-20120517-1254.jpg

I do those! For hot weather you can use veggies with a high water content to prevent dehydration. ie. celery, melon, cherry tomatos, grapes, cucumber etc.

You can easily make a them and store them in the fridge to cool them before giving them to the piggies.

Amy
x

dandelion salad

my piggy goes crazy over this plus it is very simple:

ingredients:
your piggies fave veggies
dandelion flower heads andn leaves
meusli/nuggets
hay

1.dry the dandelion heads and leaves then crush them up
2.cut the veggies up
3.mix everything together