How do I clean cardboard hideys?

SavyCavyGirl

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! So I have a problem with some pretty dirty cardboard tunnels and hideys- and I just can’t seem to get the pee stains off! It’s really bothering me and I want them to have clean happy homes so please help me!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Cardboard items can’t be cleaned, just thrown away and new ones provided.
Wooden items - i just give my wooden items a deep clean spray and a wipe with F10 to make sure there are bacteria etc free but getting stains off wooden items isn’t easy as wood will just absorb the urine. i dont worry about pee stains though and instead just replace the wooden hideys once the piggies have ‘remodelled’ them enough that they are falling apart

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You can prolong the life of cardboard furniture slightly by popping in a fleecy pee pad or a thick layer of newspaper, and changing it every couple of days, but yes ultimately cardboard furnishings last a couple of weeks (wheeks) maximum until they dissolve in piggy pee :)

flowerfairy

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I give my lot cardboard boxes with most of the bottom cut away. Fleece pads ia a good idea too.

Sezzy16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've found replacing cardboard box hides etc... pretty easy as I seem to go into Aldi as they're putting out their deliveries so I pick a few up as I need them. My piggies prefer to chew them more than any chew toy I give them!
Pee pads and cushion bedding seems to stop the pee from going near the boxes.