• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How do I clean cardboard hideys?

SavyCavyGirl

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! So I have a problem with some pretty dirty cardboard tunnels and hideys- and I just can’t seem to get the pee stains off! It’s really bothering me and I want them to have clean happy homes so please help me!

Cardboard items can’t be cleaned, just thrown away and new ones provided.
Wooden items - i just give my wooden items a deep clean spray and a wipe with F10 to make sure there are bacteria etc free but getting stains off wooden items isn’t easy as wood will just absorb the urine. i dont worry about pee stains though and instead just replace the wooden hideys once the piggies have ‘remodelled’ them enough that they are falling apart

You can prolong the life of cardboard furniture slightly by popping in a fleecy pee pad or a thick layer of newspaper, and changing it every couple of days, but yes ultimately cardboard furnishings last a couple of weeks (wheeks) maximum until they dissolve in piggy pee :)

I give my lot cardboard boxes with most of the bottom cut away. Fleece pads ia a good idea too.

I've found replacing cardboard box hides etc... pretty easy as I seem to go into Aldi as they're putting out their deliveries so I pick a few up as I need them. My piggies prefer to chew them more than any chew toy I give them!
Pee pads and cushion bedding seems to stop the pee from going near the boxes.

Back