• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How To Collect A Urine Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There have been a few threads lately where people are unsure on how to collect a urine sample off a piggie.

Seeing as we are currently in the midst's of UTI's and long term bladder problems (again) we are doing a lot of sample collecting and thought we'd produce a quick 'how to guide' for people to refer to

To get a sample you will need:
1. A clean Washing up bowl or large Tupperware
2. 2 x 1ml Syringes
3. A Sterile urine sample bottle
4. A small bowl of water (for syringing to pig)
5. A Pig

Get all equipment you need together
P1010940.jpg

Step one

Syringe your pig lots of water, we flavour ours with Avi-pro plus (a pro-biotic) as this makes them want to drink it happily or give them some wet veg such as cucumber
P1010947.jpg

Step two

Pop Pig in a bowl and wait for nature to take it's course
P1010828.jpg

Step three
Suck up wee with sterile syringe
P1010843.jpg

Step four
Decant wee into sterile sample bottle
P1010941.jpg

Remember to store the Urine sample in the fridge until vets visit.

An exotics vet told us yesterday at the Potteries meet to please not to submit any samples that are older than 30 minutes as that can change the test results. But there is no reason why you cannot try for a urine sample while you are bridging the time until an appointment.

An exotics vet told us yesterday at the Potteries meet to please not to submit any samples that are older than 30 minutes as that can change the test results. But there is no reason why you cannot try for a urine sample while you are bridging the time until an appointment.

That's interesting, is that for a culture?

I was told a urine sample was fine if stored in the fridge, it's so strange when different vets have different opinions and ideas.

This is a really good tutorial though and is exactly how i got Marmite's urine sample.

She said that even things like glucosamine contect could change in that time.

That is what I thought of as soon as I saw this but I haven also been told the same thing, I think you could kinda think of it like food, the longer it is left the more prone it is to loosing it's vital ingredients so maybe the longer you leave the urinem the more likely it is that what you might have been looking for dissapears within the fluid, if that makes sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back