• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Human Probiotic Ok for Pigs?

Cavycatcrew

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My little Flower is on antibiotics and will be on them for about 4 weeks (long story...aggressive infection). The vet recommended giving her a live culture to yogurt starting this week but I’ve read the piggies shouldn’t eat any dairy. I read about Bene-Bac and other powder probiotics for piggies, but it will take a while to get to me if I buy it online. I was wondering if there are any store-bought probiotics (for humans) that are safe for pigs. I looked at a few brands but idk of all of the ingredients are ok for my pigs. Do you have any experience with store bought probiotics or is Bene-Bac the best alternative to the live culture yogurt?

I wouldn’t give them a human one. Their gut bacteria is not the same as us. Have you had a search for fibreplex and pro c? I think they may be available in pet shops. Another alternative is to make her some poop soup from a healthy companion.
please can you add your location so info can be better tailored to you. County/state and/or country suffice.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

My little Flower is on antibiotics and will be on them for about 4 weeks (long story...aggressive infection). The vet recommended giving her a live culture to yogurt starting this week but I’ve read the piggies shouldn’t eat any dairy. I read about Bene-Bac and other powder probiotics for piggies, but it will take a while to get to me if I buy it online. I was wondering if there are any store-bought probiotics (for humans) that are safe for pigs. I looked at a few brands but idk of all of the ingredients are ok for my pigs. Do you have any experience with store bought probiotics or is Bene-Bac the best alternative to the live culture yogurt?

Hi and welcome!

I would not recommend using human probiotics and definitely would not recommend to give yoghurt to lactose intolerant animals!

If you have another healthy piggy that is not on medication, then properly made 'poo soup' (i.e. transfer of live healthy guinea pig gut microbiome) beats any probiotic paws down any day. This actually mimics natural behaviour in recovering guinea pigs even if you may find it a little gross.
But the poos need to be literally just dropped. You can find the 'recipe' in this link here (which is also part of our emergency guide): Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Here is our emergency and crisis care advice. Please weigh Flower daily at the same time (checking the poo output is running 1-2 crucial days behind the event horizon) and step in with syringe feeding support asap if she is losing her appetite and especially if she is not eating at all. The guide link gives you access to all necessary information to support your piggy through a make or break crisis, including how you can improvise in a pinch until orders arrive or you can get to your vet: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

What antibiotic or combination thereof is she on?

I have bene back powder and there are no directions just the amount to give them for there weight do I give it to him all at once with a syringe mixed with water since it’s powder I’m not sure when to give it to him or how often because there are no directions

I have bene back powder and there are no directions just the amount to give them for there weight do I give it to him all at once with a syringe mixed with water since it’s powder I’m not sure when to give it to him or how often because there are no directions

Syringe him a pinch of bene bac mixed with 1 ml of water either 1 hour before you give the antibiotic (US recommendation) or 2 hours after the antibiotic (UK recommendations). Either way works.

Back