Hutch Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxaimeexx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Quick question: What is the minimum temperature that would be safe for guinea pigs to live outside with a scratch +newton hutch insulator and cover on and snugglesafes? Can you please share with me how you care for your guinea pigs in winter.. Thanks:)

xxaimeexx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks. I had a look at that thread earlier still not that sure what to do. I am getting two babies soon and my mum says we cant get a bigger indoor cage so they will have to stay outside year round somehow. Don't worry I will make sure they are kept warm even if it involves getting a shed we have heated and waterproofed.

My OH won't let me keep my guinea pigs indoors - but we managed to compromise and I now have them in an insulated shed . I would much prefer to have them indoors - but a shed is better than a hutch outdoors in my opinion.

I know some people manage with a hutch outdoors - using hutch covers, snugglesafe heat pads etc - but - how do you interact them? How do you do their health checks (weighing / nail clipping) ?How do you feed them? How do you clean them out ? If your guinea pigs are going to be outside, I think you will prefer keeping them in a shed over winter.

@BossHogg is a good source of advice on this subject .

BossHogg

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My hutch when it was outside had a winter kingsize quilt wrapped around it and a tarpaulin over that to keep it dry, and loads of hay to keep them warm, they're now in a heated insulated shed. ;)

xxaimeexx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah I think I might try to take over the shed! Otherwise I think carpets, snugglesafes, and hutch covers are a good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.