• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hutch Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxaimeexx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Quick question: What is the minimum temperature that would be safe for guinea pigs to live outside with a scratch +newton hutch insulator and cover on and snugglesafes? Can you please share with me how you care for your guinea pigs in winter.. Thanks:)

Thanks. I had a look at that thread earlier still not that sure what to do. I am getting two babies soon and my mum says we cant get a bigger indoor cage so they will have to stay outside year round somehow. Don't worry I will make sure they are kept warm even if it involves getting a shed we have heated and waterproofed.

My OH won't let me keep my guinea pigs indoors - but we managed to compromise and I now have them in an insulated shed . I would much prefer to have them indoors - but a shed is better than a hutch outdoors in my opinion.

I know some people manage with a hutch outdoors - using hutch covers, snugglesafe heat pads etc - but - how do you interact them? How do you do their health checks (weighing / nail clipping) ?How do you feed them? How do you clean them out ? If your guinea pigs are going to be outside, I think you will prefer keeping them in a shed over winter.

@BossHogg is a good source of advice on this subject .

My hutch when it was outside had a winter kingsize quilt wrapped around it and a tarpaulin over that to keep it dry, and loads of hay to keep them warm, they're now in a heated insulated shed. ;)

Yeah I think I might try to take over the shed! Otherwise I think carpets, snugglesafes, and hutch covers are a good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back