• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Hutch full of earwigs

MiloAndJake

Junior Guinea Pig
My Guinea Pig hutch is full of earwigs my guinea pigs are inside in a cage but i let them in their hutch throughout the day. Will these earwigs harm my piggies? I’ve just fully cleansed the hutch but there was hundreds and might come back as they might of made it their home. I’ve sprayed johnsons cage and hutch insect spray but not sure if it works!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
You need F10 to kill off the eggs. I had loads of earwigs in the hutch too. The eggs look like tiny black dots. If you don't kill the eggs the earwigs will never go away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/F10-Disinf...d=1530988498&sr=1-1&keywords=f10+disinfectant

A little goes a long way! You need to make it double strength 2ml for every 500ml of water. Spray it everywhere and wipe off with an old cloth. Pay particular attention to corners.

MiloAndJake

Junior Guinea Pig
You need F10 to kill off the eggs. I had loads of earwigs in the hutch too. The eggs look like tiny black dots. If you don't kill the eggs the earwigs will never go away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/F10-Disinf...d=1530988498&sr=1-1&keywords=f10+disinfectant

A little goes a long way! You need to make it double strength 2ml for every 500ml of water. Spray it everywhere and wipe off with an old cloth. Pay particular attention to corners.
i sprayed my hutch all over with cage and hutch insect spray by johnsons i hope that has done the same job i washed it all yesterday and it seems fine now? Is it best to get that though?

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
:agr:F10 definitely kills off the eggs. F10 kills off almost everything! It kills mould spores and fungal spores and all sorts of nasties that Johnsons doesn't it is also safe for piggies which is most important of all. I only use F10 in the hutch now. You will need to persevere with the F10 if you have that many earwigs as it'll take a while to stop the cycle of eggs hatching into earwigs that lay more eggs, that hatch out to lay more eggs ...... but you will get there. It took me a good 4-6 weeks to get rid of the majority of earwigs in the hutch. Now there are only a few each week. I have changed from newspaper lining to puppy pad lining too which I has helped as I think earwigs ate the paper.

VickiA

Staff member
F10 disinfectant in my opinion is better than any of the other stuff available. You can order it online or most likely your vets will sell it to you. Mine sell it in either a ready made up diluted spray or in the concentrate that you mix up yourself. It kills practically everything you can imagine that is a pest to piggies including fungal spores, too. So F10gets my vote if you want to be rid of the problem.